US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo voiced hopes Friday that nuclear disarmament negotiations with North Korea would continue following reports that Pyongyang is considering suspending the talks.
"We are hopeful that we can continue to hold this conversation," he told reporters.
Russian news agency TASS reported earlier that the North's vice foreign minister Choe Son Hui rejected yielding to "US demands in any form," after the Hanoi summit between leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump ended without agreement.
Trump told a post-summit press conference in Hanoi that the North Korean leader had promised he would maintain his moratorium on missile and nuclear tests.
Analysts voiced fears that the change of tone from Pyongyang could mean a resumption of tests, but Pompeo remained upbeat about the pause staying in place.
"In Hanoi on multiple occasions, (Kim) spoke directly to the president and made a commitment that he would not resume nuclear testing, nor would he resume missile testing," Pompeo said.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.