The blasts occurred at a football stadium in the city that was hosting a cricket match at the start of the holy month of Ramadan, Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council said.
He said the blasts were caused by two rockets which killed at least six people and wounded 50 but there was some uncertainty about the final casualty total.
Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar said eight spectators were killed and 43 wounded by at least three back-to-back explosions.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Last week, the provincial governor was dismissed over deteriorating security in the province, which has become a stronghold for Islamic State fighters as well as the Taliban.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Election Results for Lok Sabha Election 2019 will be out on May 23. Get the latest election news and live updates on ndtv.com/elections. Catch all the action on NDTV Live. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for news updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the election 2019