Five people were killed and around 50 injured after a cooking gas cylinder exploded in a house in Rajasthan's Jodhpur where guests had gathered for a wedding, police said today.
The incident took place just before a groom's procession was about to start from their home in Bhungra village, about 60 kms from Jodhpur.
A leak in the gas cylinders kept where the wedding feast was being prepared led to the powerful blast, officials said. Some of the injured sustained 80 to 100 per cent burns, according to officials.
A portion of the house where the wedding was taking place also collapsed due to the impact of the blast.
Twelve people are reported to have suffered serious burn injuries.
"53 injured brought to the hospital. Two were brought dead. 21 patients are in ICU while 29 are in the general ward," Dr Dilip Kachwaha, SN Medical College, Jodhpur, said.
The incident took place in Bhungra village, about 60 kms from Jodhpur.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot visited the injured in the hospital this morning. He condoled the loss of lives in the incident and annonced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh to those injured.
"Government will write to gas supply companies to look at maintenance of gas cylinders. We will also ask these companies to give insurance to affected families. Collectors across Rajasthan have been asked to look into the maintenance of gas cylinders," Mr Gehlot said.
"It's a very serious accident. 52 people who were injured were referred to MGH hospital. Treatment is going on," District Collector Himanshu Gupta said.
Superintendent of MG Hospital Raj Shree Behra said over a dozen injured brought to the hospital have sustained 80-100 per cent burns and are in serious condition.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot condoled the loss of lives in the incident and directed officials to provide the best possible treatment to the injured.