Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat who was killed along with his wife and 11 armed forces personnel in a helicopter crash near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday was cremated with full military honours in Delhi today.
Home Minister Amit Shah, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi were among several leaders to lay wreaths and pay respect to Bipin Rawat and his wife Madhulika Rawat at their official residence in Delhi this morning before cremation.
The funeral of Brigadier Lakhwinder Singh Lidder, defence assistant to General Rawat and another victim of the chopper crash, was held at Delhi Cantonment earlier in the day.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday night led tributes to all those who were killed in the chopper crash.
The Mi-17V5 Air Force chopper -- described as "the workhorse of the Air Force" and widely seen as a stable aircraft -- crashed after it took off from Sulur.
Here are the Highlights from General Bipin Rawat's Funeral:
Delhi: #CDSGeneralBipinRawat laid to final rest with full military honours. His last rites were performed along with his wife Madhulika Rawat, who too lost her life in #TamilNaduChopperCrash.- ANI (@ANI) December 10, 2021
Their daughters Kritika and Tarini performed their last rites. pic.twitter.com/ijQbEx9m51
Delhi: Daughters of #CDSGeneralBipinRawat and Madhulika Rawat - Kritika and Tarini - pay tribute to their parents. Other members of the family also join them in paying last respects. pic.twitter.com/Wc88k8oZaF- ANI (@ANI) December 10, 2021
I wanted to pay tribute & to come in person for that ceremony as we remember him as a great military leader, emphatic, warm, determined & great friend to move forward cooperation with my country. He'll be really fondly remembered: Emmanuel Lenain, Ambassador of France#CDSRawatpic.twitter.com/Rufvvk6m4t- ANI (@ANI) December 10, 2021
"It's incredibly sad. He was a pioneer as he started the joint defence approach which we follow in the UK. He led that approach in India. It's very sad for India to lose a great leader, a soldier and a thoroughly nice man," says British High Commissioner Alex Ellis.
A real tragedy. Our President today sent CDS & Army Command of Sri Lanka as his envoy for the ceremony. We're heartbroken. Many senior personnel in our military have known him well. He was Sri Lanka's friend: Milinda Moragoda, Sri Lanka's High Commissioner#CDSGeneralBipinRawatpic.twitter.com/zUxyaPRZei- ANI (@ANI) December 10, 2021
Daughters of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat, Kritika and Tarini, paid floral tributes to their parents in the national capital. The grandchild of the CDS also paid final respect to grandparents. Read here.
Senior military commanders including Chief of Defence Staff and Commander of the Sri Lanka Army Gen Shavendra Silva, Deputy Chief Operations Officer of Royal Bhutan Army Brig Dorji Rinchenn and other officials from Nepal and Bangladesh arrived in Delhi to attend the funeral of General Bipin Rawat.
- Gen Shavendra Silva, Chief of Def Staff and Commander of the Sri Lanka Army.
- Admiral Ravindra Chandrasiri Wijegunaratne (Retd), Former Chief of Defence Staff (his course mate at National Defence College and a dear friend)
- Gen Bipin Rawat's remains have been laid in state at 3 Kamraj Marg from till 1pm to enable people to pay homage.
- 12 officers (from Army, Navy and Air Force) of the rank of Brigadier and equivalent are on duty to maintain continuous vigil over the mortal remains.
- Six officers (two each from Army, Navy & Air Force) of the rank of Lieutenant General equivalent will be the Pall (National Flag) bearers
- Wreaths are being laid by visiting dignitaries and will also be laid at Brar Square Cremation Ground.
- Ceremonial battery of 2233 Field Regiment is providing gun carriage.
- 99 all ranks from the Army, Navy and Air force and 33 members of the triservices band will form the front escort while 99 all ranks from the three services will act as the Rear Escort.
- A total of 800 service personnel will be in attendance for the military funeral of the CDS.
- The CDS is being accorded a 17 gun salute, as per laid down protocols. Post the playing of the Last Post and Rouse by tri services buglers, the funeral pyre will be lit by family members.
CDS Gen Bipin Rawat is being accorded a 17 gun salute, as per laid down protocols. Post the playing of the Last Post and Rouse by tri-services buglers, the funeral pyre will be lit by family members.- ANI (@ANI) December 10, 2021
Brigadier Lakhwinder Singh Lidder's wife, Geetika Lidder, and daughter, Aashna Lidder, said goodbye to him this morning, in emotional and heart-wrenching scenes from Delhi's Brar Square Crematorium.
The moment General Bipin Rawat's helicopter crashed into the hills in Tamil Nadu was apparently caught in the video of a chopper vanishing into the mist, which emerged yesterday.
Home Minister Amit Shah arrives at General Bipin Rawat's residence to pay his tributes.
Delhi | Outside visuals from Base Hospital.- ANI (@ANI) December 10, 2021
The last rites of CDS General Bipin Rawat along with 11 other military personnel who passed away in an IAF chopper crash near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday, will be performed with full military honours today. pic.twitter.com/Pect9IDRMc
The bodies of General Rawat and his wife Madhulika Rawat are scheduled to leave for the crematorium at 2 pm. According to Delhi Police, the funeral procession will pass through Rajaji Marg, Teen Murti Chowk, 11 Murti, Sardar Patel Marg and Dhaula Kuan before reaching Delhi Cantonment.
The funeral of Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat and his wife Madhulika Rawat, who were among 13 people killed in a helicopter crash in Tamil Nadu Wednesday, will be held at Brar Square crematorium in Delhi Cantonment today.