The 'Credible' Information that Led to the Removal of CBI Chief from 2G Case

The 'Credible' Information that Led to the Removal of CBI Chief from 2G Case

File photo: CBI chief Ranjit Sinha

New Delhi: A series of alleged misdemeanors incriminated Central Bureau of Investigation or CBI chief Ranjit Sinha, who was on Thursday removed by the Supreme Court from the investigation into the 2G spectrum scandal, one of the country's largest financial swindles. (These 3 Strikes Meant CBI Chief's Out of 2G Investigation)

Mr Sinha later told NDTV, "The 2G case is in trial, so there are no files which will come to me".

NDTV has exclusive details of the report, which the court described as "credible" information, about the CBI chief allegedly trying to subvert his own agency's investigation.

Mr Sinha allegedly inserted paragraphs favouring the accused in the CBI's affidavit to the court. He allegedly insisted on filing that affidavit even when the court was in vacation, to bypass investigating officers who were abroad; these officers had said that the affidavit would weaken the case, but Mr Sinha allegedly overruled all their objections. (Step Out of 2G Investigation, Says Supreme Court to CBI Chief)

The affidavit would have "killed the case", Special Public Prosecutor Anand Grover has told the court.

Reacting to Mr Grover's accusation, Mr Sinha said, "Anand Grover is free to say what he pleases in court".

The report also has interesting details about Deputy Inspector General, Santosh Rastogi, who hit the headlines on Wednesday after being accused of being a mole by Mr Sinha's lawyer. The report reveals how Mr Rastogi opposed Mr Sinha's draft affidavit by putting his objections in writing on file. The report goes on to say how the Director allegedly berated him in writing and used language which the court found objectionable.

Mr Sinha, however, told NDTV, "Santosh Rastogi is my colleague, I have nothing against him".

Mr Rastogi had recused himself from the case after placing his objections on record and the report notes how he was transferred 48 hours later, although his demand was pending for a long time.

Sources have also referenced the delayed investigations into the alleged role of Dayanidhi Maran, who has been accused by the CBI of misusing his office as Telecom Minister in 2006 to manipulate licences in exchange for kickbacks.

Mr Sinha, says the report, delayed the chargesheet against Mr Maran by a year and kept asking for opinions even though there were no differences within. Anand Grover, the special prosecutor, notes how opinions are only sought when there is a difference of opinion.

The CBI chief had said that the evidence against Dayanidhi Maran was insufficient, disagreeing with his own Director of Prosecution.

The Supreme Court's unprecedented move was based on allegations by lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan that some telecom executives, accused in the 2G case, regularly met with the CBI chief at his home. As evidence, Mr Bhushan submitted in September a diary of visitors to the CBI chief's home in Delhi.

Mr Sinha has claimed that he met with people who wanted to explain their defence at his residence because it includes an office.
More News