Prime Minister Narendra Modi today thanked the people of the Bodo region, saying that it was because of people's support that the Bodo peace accord was signed, heralding a new dawn of peace in Assam. Addressing a massive public rally to celebrate the signing of the accord on January 27 that is expected to bring lasting peace to the troubled state, PM Modi said now the time was to work together for peace and development of the Northeast.
"All of India is thanking you (Bodo tribes) and celebrating with you. It is because you all agreed to living in peace and contribute towards a stronger India," PM Modi said at a mega rally in Assam's Kokrajhar, a Bodo-dominated town.
This is prime minister's first visit to the Northeast since protests erupted against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act last December in which three people were killed.
The Bodo accord was signed on January 27 by the government with four factions of the National Democratic Front of Boroland (NDFB), All Bodo Students'' Union and a civil society group for bringing a lasting peace in Bodo-dominated areas in Assam. The prime minister had termed the day "a very special day for India" and said that it "will lead to a transformative results for Bodo people, ushering in a new dawn of peace, harmony and togetherness".
Over 1,615 cadres of different factions of the NDFB surrendered their arms and joined the mainstream within two days of the signing of the agreement.
Here are the Live Updates on PM Modi's visit to Assam:
- We're also working on education, skill, and sports for the youth of Northeast. Apart from this, we've also built new hostels for Northeast students in Delhi and Bengaluru.
- New railway stations, new railway routes, new airports, new waterways, and internet connectivity - the amount of work that is being done today is unprecedented.
- Projects like Bogibeel Bridge that were hanging for ages have been completed and it has millions of people with connectivity. It increases their trust in the government.
- The Bru-Reang crisis was also resolved a few days ago after another historic agreement. Thousands of families will now have their residential houses after signing this agreement, bringing an end to a problem that pestered for about 2.5 decades.
- Thousands of Northeast people lived like refugees in their own country in the past. Now, they are being rehabilitated with full facilities.
- People of India were afraid of coming here at one time. Now, they're pitching it as the next tourist destination.
- We've ensured that once every 10-15 days, a union minister will visit the Northeast, will spend the night, talk to people and solve their problems.
- Our ministers spent a lot of time here and solved a lot of problems. My Government is taking direct feedback and are making the right decisions in sync.
- The entire issue of Northeast was serious and we worked on it with a new approach. We understood the aspirations and emotional context of different regions of the Northeast.
- We conversed with them and made them feel one of our own.
- This has helped reduced extremism. Earlier, there were about 1,000 killings in the Northeast due to extremism but today, on an average, the situation is normal and peaceful.
- Under the Accord, Rs 1500 crore will be given as a special developmental package to help the Bodos.
- Every right, culture, language, and development will be ensured. Their protection will be ensured.
- We won't allow the darkness of terrorism to return to Assam.
- No citizen will die of violence anymore in this region.
- Mothers whose children have returned from the wilderness are blessing me today. So many families have been reconciled.
- There were gunfights for decades. The arrival of peace to Assam is a historic moment. It is a great coincidence that it has happened when the entire country is celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Mahatma Gandhi used to say that whatever we gain from walking on Ahimsa is accepted by everyone.
- A lot of people from Assam have accepted peace, ahimsa, and democracy. They have placed the Indian Constitution at its rightful place.
- All of India is thanking you (Bodo tribes) and celebrating with you. It is because you all agreed to living in peace and contribute towards a stronger India.
- You all have chosen peace and light.
- Never ever shall the darkness of violence creep in again. Never again will a brother, sister, mother or father ever lose a member of their family.
- Never have I seen such a large gathering.... This is perhaps the largest ever political rally since independence.
- I was seeing from the helicopter. Even from the air, this vast gathering looked like a sea of people.
- I am humbled to see such a large turnout to come and bless us.
On this momentous day when PM Sri @narendramodi is with us to bless us for the #BodoPeaceAccord I invite you all to join us in the celebrations as well.- Himanta Biswa Sarma (@himantabiswa) February 7, 2020
Join me Live from #Kokrajhar on my FB at 12 noon today.https://t.co/B3FVIz0n63#AssamWelcomesModipic.twitter.com/82ybHq8RhW