- Unhealthy eating habits can affect your dental health
- Limit consumption of acidic foods and drinks
- Flossing is as important as brushing for a healthy oral cavity
Tooth enamel is a hard outer cover which protects the teeth from physical and chemical damage. This is the hardest tissue of the human body which is even harder than bones. It is the outermost layer which is exposed to the foods and drinks you consume. The tooth can also experience erosion due to certain factors. Several habits can unknowingly contribute to enamel erosion. Damaged enamel can further trigger different dental issues. Here's a list of factors that can negatively affect tooth enamel. Also, know the side effects linked with erosion of tooth enamel.
Tooth enamel: Avoid these to safeguard those pearly whites
Dr. Yogesh Vats explains, "Enamel erosion increases the risk of cavities. It mainly leads to tooth sensitivity as the soft tissues of the tooth get exposed to the outer environment. In some cases discolouration of the tooth also starts. Over time the risk of fracture in teeth, rough texture and tooth decay increases."
Also read: Oral Care Tips To Follow
She further elaborates on the factors that can cause enamel erosion or damage:
1. Acidic foods or drinks- Foods with higher citric acid levels or high sugar cause erosion of enamel. Frequent consumption should be avoided to avoid interaction with acid contents. You should also avoid sipping sodas as these are acidic in nature and added sugar.
2. Eating or digestive disorders- Issues like bulimia are unhealthy for your teeth as the stomach acid comes in contact with teeth due to vomiting.
3. Teeth clenching or bruxism- Grinding of teeth or frequent clenching leads to chipping of enamel further contributing to sensitivity.
Also read: Top 5 Dental Myths You Should Stop Believing
4. High fluoride content in drinking water causes dental fluorosis i.e. discolouration of tooth enamel. Fluorosis occurs due to high fluoride exposure during the tooth forming stage.
5. Dry mouth or xerostomia: Saliva balances acid level in the mouth. So, in dry mouth condition acid level in the oral cavity increases leading to high acid exposure of enamel.
If you are experiencing enamel erosion, pain or extreme tooth sensitivity, it may lead to cavities or tooth decay if left uncontrolled. Seek medical help and follow a healthy oral regimen to prevent dental issues.
(Dr. Yogesh Vats is a Delhi-based Dentist)
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.