Water is one of the best healing elixirs for any ailment. It is essential to carry out several bodily functions. It helps flush out toxins that may be harmful for your body and keep it going. While drinking eight to 10 glasses of water every day may be advised by many health experts, there is a chance that over-consumption of water may lead to certain problems. According to old guidelines published in the Clinical journal of Sport Medicine, you should drink water only when you are thirsty in order to avoid exercise-associated hyponatremia.
According to these guidelines, drinking excess water is not good for your health as it weakens the ability of the kidneys to excrete excess water load and sodium in the body becomes diluted. This further leads to swelling in the cells, which can be life threatening. This condition is known as hyponatremia. As per Dr. Shikha Sharma, Wellness and Nutrition Expert in New Delhi, consuming too much water indicates the improper functioning of kidneys. Consuming water more than required can lead to unnecessary overloading on the cardiac muscles and can lower down the blood pressure.
Here are some disadvantages of drinking too much water:
1. It is said that too much consumption of water can lead to fluid overload in the body and imbalance in the body. Excess water can lead to lower sodium levels in the body, which may further lead to nausea, vomiting, cramps, fatigue, et al. This condition is known as hyponatremia.
2. Headaches are signs of both over-hydration and dehydration. When you drink too much water, the salt consumption in your blood reduces, causing the cells in the organs throughout your body to swell.
3. When you drink too much water, your electrolyte levels drop and the balance is compromised. Low electrolyte levels can cause symptoms like muscle spasms and cramping.
4. Excessive water consumption can cause fatigue and tiredness. Your kidneys are responsible for filtering the water you drink through your body and making sure the fluid levels in your bloodstream are balanced. With too much water, your kidneys may have to work even harder, creating a stressful reaction from your hormones that leave your body and you stressed and tired.
6. It may also cause too much urination; when you drink lots of water at once, you tend to urinate frequently. Downing too much water causes failure of your body to absorb the fluid.
The best way to check if your body is dehydrated is to check the colour of the urine. If it is dark yellow, there is a chance you may need more water. In most healthy people, experts say that thirst is the guiding factor for water intake and people must go by that factor alone. The need differs from person to person. It is best to know your water needs from a doctor. Make sure you do not drink too much water so it causes hyponatremia. Drinking water at optimum level is great for the body.
It is summertime and it is important to ensure that you are well hydrated; however, it is also important to know that excessive water consumption can reverse the good effects. It is advisable to drink water only when your body indicates the thirst.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)