State Governor and Mumbai University Chancellor Vidyasagar Rao on October 24 exercised the powers conferred upon him under section 11(14) (e) of the Maharashtra Public Universities Act, 2016 to sack Dr Deshmukh from his position of VC.
Mumbai University Vice Chancellor Sacked, Dr Kasturirangan To Head Panel To Select New VC: 10 Points
1. The dismissed VC was accused of "gross negligence and failure in implementing the On Screen Marking System", to declare the results of the examinations within the time-limits prescribed in the Act - within 30 days and in no case beyond 45 days.
2. Warned several times in the past by the Governor, Deshmukh, 52, was found responsible "for his failure to comply with the directions issued by the Chancellor from time to time", regarding timely declaration of the examination results of nearly 400,000 students.
3. Dr. Deshmukh, who worked with the RSS think-tank Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini as director (research) from 2001 to 2003, was appointed as Rajan Welukar's successor to be the varsity's vice-chancellor in July 2015, reported Press Trust of India.
4. Ruling ally Shiv Sena's youth leader Aditya Thackeray has attacked the state government and sought to know how it would compensate the thousands of students for their career losses, reported IANS. Aaditya Thackeray, whose students' wing Yuva Sena has been actively opposing Deshmukh's moves for long, said there should not be any mistakes in appointing an able VC for the university now.
5. Dr. Deshmukh hastily implemented a massive project of online assessment of answer sheets notwithstanding opposition from stake-holders which created the chaos in the last five months.
6. Dr. Deshmukh was, in August, asked to go on forced leave.
7. A day after Dr. Deshmukh was asked to go; the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) on Wednesday demanded the resignation of Education Minister Vinod Tawde over the issue.
8. Late on Wednesday evening, Mr. Rao announced that eminent space scientist and former ISRO Chairman (Dr.) K. Kasturirangan - is a former alumnus of University of Mumbai - would head a new Search Committee to select a new VC for the country's premier and globally renowned university.
9. The Governor's move terminating Dr. Deshmukh's service has been widely welcomed in political circles, by university teachers and students and the parent community.
10. In August, three law students of Mumbai University have moved the Bombay High Court asking the court to order their university to pay a compensation of Rs. 10 lakh for the delay in announcing the exam results.
(With Inputs from PTI and IANS)
Click here for more Education News