The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Saturday launched a nationwide anti-corruption drive and will hold a string of rallies under the leadership of Arvind Kejriwal, who quit as Delhi chief minister, party leaders said.
Arvind Kejriwal, who resigned as Delhi's Chief Minister yesterday, today said he may continue to stay in his official accommodation at least for the next three months.
In his report, Najeeb Jung today refused to dissolve the Delhi Assembly, thereby rejecting Arvind Kejriwal's recommendation in his resignation letter last evening.
- We will fight elections again
- I am not disappointed
- I am ready to lose the Chief Minister's chair for the Country
- Nowhere in the Constitution that the Delhi government has to take Centre's permission to present a Bill. Why should we send the Bill then
- Our inside information was that they will create a ruckus, but allow the Bill to pass. However, after our move against Mukesh Ambani, we got info that they would not pass the Lokpal Bill
- They were afraid of what I would do next, They wanted me to resign at any cost
- People brought these complaints to us
- Both Congress and BJP spent sleepless nights after we filed an FIR against Mukesh Ambani
- This government had given some wells to Mukesh Ambani, the expense of extracting gas from the well is $1 but government gives him $4 and it will be soon revised to $8
- When this happens, electricity rates will increase, fertilizer rates will increase, food will become expensive
- I will write to Narendra Modi and Rahul Gandhi asking them what rate they will offer Mukesh Ambani when they come to power
- The wells belong to India and its people. If we have given them the wells and asked them supply gas, why will they charge international market price
- I am ready to face anything for this country. We have put everything at stake
- (On governance) Sheila Dikshit kept saying for five years CAG audit cannot be done, we did it in five days
- They couldn't curb corruption, but we managed to reduced it
- Government hospitals did not have medicine supplies, the situation has changed now
- (On resigning) We had already said we won't compromise on corruption. I am not here for power but I am here to eradicate corruption
- We have left it in the hands of people, if they want us back in power, they will have vote us into power
- If there are no assembly elections, then I will focus of Lok sabha elections
- (On contesting against Modi) I have no desire to become a hero by fighting against Modi
- Two motives: not to allow dynast, communal, corrupt into power
- (On not being in power being disadvantageous) We don't see advantage and disadvantage, politcal power is not an issue
- If corruption decreases, people will have education, food
- The elections will be fought under my leadership, but I haven't decided if I will fight or not
- I have no house right now. I will stay here until my daughter's exams are over.
- AAP's political affair's committee met and congratulated Arvind Kejriwal govt
- It has set a precedent of a government which is willing to give up power
- Since BJP and Congress MLAs were screaming we are 40, they should now step forward and form the government in Delhi
- We urge them to pursue the cases we have lodged...These are important not only for Delhi but also for India
- AAP will not take it campaign all over India
- It will begin with a rally in Haryana on February 23
- Second rally is on March 2 in Uttar Pradesh
- Both these rallies will launch AAP's national campaign
- Arvind Kejriwal has submitted his resignation letter to Lieutenant General addressing it to the President. Resignation has been accepted
- AAP's political affairs committee will meet again and discuss the future strategy (On Kejriwal fighting Lok Sabha elections)
- Congress and UPA have become politically irrelevant in these elections
- Congress and BJP have joined hands to save Mukesh Ambani ('Super sarkar'Ambani)
- BJP-Congress coalition must now form the government
- BJP and Congress' collaboration has now been exposed
- Delhi government had registered six major FIRs which we would like to be followed up
- There are two FIRs in the CWG scam, five in the Jal Board scam...we hope these probes won't be stalled by the future government
- The biggest FIR is against Ambani, Moily... let that probe continue
- I have seen for myself how streetlights worth Rs 5000 are sold for Rs 27000
- Yesterday in the Assembly, Congress and BJP MLAs were shouting we are 40 to oppose the Janlokpal bill - it's clear that they are together
- AAP is the only party which is fighting against corruption
- Jan Lokpal Bill was part of our manifesto, we couldn't make a law against corruption
- But BJP and Congress joined force to save corrupt Ambani
- We will not be in government if we can't bring in anti-corruption law
- AAP is strongly behind Kejriwal in his fight against corruption
- On February 23, we will launch our anti-graft movement from Haryana
- We will agitate against people like Kalmadi, Bangaru Laxman and Babulal Bokaria
- 'Jhadu chalao bhemano ko harao' is the campaign that we will be running
"This will be discussed at the party's meeting. Arvind (Kejriwal) may or may not contest Lok Sabha election, but the party will fight the polls under his leadership."
Despite the blistering resignation speech, Arvind Kejriwal will have to run a caretaker government in Delhi for a few days. This message was delivered to Mr Kejriwal after he met with Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung to submit his resignation. Delhi being a Union Territory-state, Mr Jung is not bound to go by the advice of the outgoing chief minister and his council. The L-G will need to apprise President Pranab Mukherjee about the development. Meanwhile, the AAP will continue to be a caretaker government which cannot take any policy decisions.
Congress spokesperson Sandeep Dikshit has accused Arvind Kejriwal, who resigned this evening as Delhi Chief Minister, of being a "negative person, a glib-talker and a smooth liar who was looking for an excuse to run away".
Arvind Kejriwal today resigned as Chief Minister after his anti-corruption Jan Lokpal Bill was blocked in the Delhi Assembly by MLAs of the BJP and the Congress. Though Mr Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party's (AAP) government was only in power for 49 days, it was a tenure riddled with controversies.
- We had sworn to not accept BJP, Congress' support
- We asked the people and they asked us to accept support aand work for them
- Out biggest promise was to pass Janlokpal bill and to pass laws against corruption
- Congress gave it to us in writing and said they would support it
- They didn't even let us introduce the Bill
- They joined hands with BJP
- BJP and Congress meet every day behind a curtain. Their true face was face revealed today
- Ambani said 'Congress meri dukaan hae, can buy whenever I want'
- Ambani has been running the UPA for the last 10 years
- The moment we laid hands on Ambani, BJP and Congress joined hands
- For the last on year, Ambani is behind Modi too. Where is Modi getting so much money from
- I am against those who rule the government out of fear for Mukesh Ambani
- After FIR, Mukesh Ambani said AAP government is a thorn in my side
- They fear that more than half of them will go to jail if bill gets passed
- So far, we have only attacked Ambani and Moily. So they decided to join hands against us
- I haven't come here for power. Today we resigned
- I am willing to let go off my seat 100 times for Janlokpal bill
- Hold elections immediately in Delhi
- I will go to the Lieutenant Governor next and recommend dissolution of the assembly and fresh elections
- Our cabinet has taken this decision
- We have been working day and night since we formed government
- We have spent sleepless nights and worked sincerely
- Forgive us for mistakes, if any
- We are humans
- They say we don't know how to govern
- They would have reduced power tariff in 5 years. We managed it in 5 days
- If we would have accepted bribes and offered some to BJP, Congress, then they would've appreciated us
- They broke mikes and tore papers yesterday
- Gave bangles to one of our ministers. Does BJP respect women?
- Centre sees itself as the British goverment. Delhi's Lieutenant General sees himself as the viceroy
- We came here with no experience
- We were hoping to learn from the senior and more experienced members here
- Disappointed with everything I have seen so far
- Mikes were broken, papers were torn
- (on interruptions) I have listened to you without interrupting, now please give me a chance to speak
- I read the Constitution, but I didn't find anywhere that it is alright to rip papers, and break mikes in Assembly
- It is being said that we have done something unconstitutional. The Constitution does not mention anywhere that the Centre's permission is needed.
- Mukesh Ambani gives donation to Congress and BJP
- If we hadn't gone against Ambani, this scene would not have been created in the Assembly
- BJP and Congress have together looted the residents of Delhi
- I will make 1000 sacrifices to fight corruption
- We will fight on the streets
- We are not here to save our government, but to save the nation from corruption
- This seems like our last session
The Aam Aadmi Party government's victory was short-lived, as opposition fury forced Speaker MS Dhir to take a vote in which the tabling of the bill was struck down.
- Place the letter from the Lieutenant Governor, let the house discuss that first
- Arvind Kejriwal can't digest his food till he blames someone everyday
- Don't spread lies about BJP being against Jan Lokpal and corruption. We are committed to it
- We have given a censure motion against the Law Minister. If you are trying to make history, ask the speaker to allow it.
- It's an insult to the assembly that Ravidass jayanti has been disrespected in this way
- Friday is also a private member bill day, so no government bills should be issued on this day
- Issue of Law Minister Somnath Bharti is serious and should be addressed first
- Stubborn attitude, bill is being bulldozed
- Lieutenant General has already said Bill can't be presented
- I believe this is unconstitutional
- We have written to the Chief Minister and said that support was given based on 18 points
- Congress' support continues. There is no doubt about that
- One of the 18 points was Jan Lokpal Bill. We support the bill
- We are repeatedly telling Kejriwal that no one is above the constitution
- I was disturbed to hear that Kejriwal said Congress is against Jan Lokpal Bill. I request him not to spread rumours
- Kejriwal also said BJP,Congress have come together - We don't need his certificate. Congress, BJP can never come together. There is an ideological difference.
- The AAP government will be listed in Guinness book of world records for lying
- We will support Jan Lokpal bill if it is brought in by constitutional means
- We will see what happens in the assembly
Anti-corruption crusader Arvind Kejriwal has shaken up India's political landscape with promises to change a rotten system: Now he is scrambling to dispel fears that his populism and rabble rousing could be a liability for Asia's third-largest economy.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has said that the Delhi assembly will meet in a special session from the 13th to 16th of this month to debate and vote on the anti-corruption Jan Lokpal Bill.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today accused the companies that supply power to Delhi of "blackmail" after they warned of power cuts starting tomorrow that could last 8-10 hours in Central and East Delhi.
He said he does not see the need for banning khap panchayats or unelected all-male village councils that often endorse harsh treatment of women because they serve a "cultural purpose."
Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party that stormed to power in Delhi last month plans to field 350 candidates in Lok Sabha elections due by May.
A Congress lawmaker today disrupted Arvind Kejriwal's one-month anniversary press conference deriding his Aam Aadmi Party government as "radio Jhootistan (liars)."
Congress MLA Asif Mohammad Khan interrupts presser, calls AAP govt 'Radio Jhootistan'
The MLA from Okhla wants his party to withdraw support from the AAP government. He said, "Today they refused to take any action on the Batla House encounter. Why make promises when you will not take any action? In your (AAP's) manifesto - the Batla House encounter was a point."
- Our VIPs should live like the aam aadmi.
- We gave up on luxuries that we were entitled to
- 'Fast' power metres in Delhi will be checked by a third party.
- We are bringing in honest, "saadgi bhari" government
- Corruption is very important for us. 'If anyone bribes you, please do inform us': this scheme is working.
- I have visited offices and people are saying now their work I getting done without bribing
- Corruption, bribes have reduced across many departments. We will have have to follow this up to see a bigger impact.
- Sikh community has been demanding an investigation into the 1984 riots. We have spoken to the Lt Governor and he will take action. An investigation committee needs to probe the 1984 riots.
- Water tankers were a big mafia. Their schedule has been put on the website.
- Nursery helpline is getting a positive feedback. Schools would demand donations. But this helpline is trying to help that situation.
- All government schools have been mapped to check what infrastructure is needed. Every school has been given Rs. 1 lakh for administrative purposes
- 58 night shelters (rain-basera) made. We know we have to do much more.
- 5500 NCR permits for auto-rickshaws; will help people commute from satellite towns like Ghaziabad and Noida.
- Contractual employees will be made permanent. But we need to follow procedures.
- If the striking employees don't come back to work, we will not consider them for regularisation. We can't afford to have 600 DTC buses off the roads.
- I have met some teachers on dharna - when is the last time a chief minister met protesters personally and listened to what they had to say?
- 150 seats in Delhi University governing bodies were reserved for the Delhi government. Congress leaders have occupied all of them.
- The recent dharna was for women's security in Delhi. Wrong or right, everyone has their own view on it.
- We have made a committee that will work on women security comprehensively. Retired home guards, army personnel to form part of this committee. It is not a parallel police force. They will be at your beck and call.
- Fast track trial courts need to be set up.
Arvind Kejriwal has demanded an investigation by the Special Investigation Team into the 1984 anti-Sikh riots that followed the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards.
Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) today completes a month in power in Delhi and the review is mixed. What is your take?
Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) today completes a month in power in Delhi and the review is mixed. The one-year-old party's unconventional style of governance has captured the imagination of many Indians, but the inexperience that seemed refreshing at first threatens to become the party's worst enemy.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Law Minister Somnath Bharti have been asked to explain whether they spent more on their recent election to the Delhi legislature than legally permitted. Both leaders of the Aam Aadmi Party or AAP have to respond by February 25 to the Delhi High Court.
Arvind Kejriwal has said that he has read the constitution and it does not say anywhere that the Chief Minister cannot stage a protest. (Read constitution, dharna by Chief Minister not unconstitutional, says Arvind Kejriwal)
This thought then crossed my mind - by the same convoluted logic, can the Prime Minister join the mob and blockade the Metro or state secretariat if there are perceived injustices or misdemeanors by Kejriwal's government? After all, the constitution does not say the PM can not do a 'dharna' and hold the Delhi State hostage? (read more...)
The tables were turned today as Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal faced a protest on his turf by BJP lawmakers who demanded his controversial Law Minister Somnath Bharti's resignation.
Arvind Kejriwal's Law Minister Somnath Bharti hit back at President Pranab Mukherjee's comments against "populist anarchy".
A day after Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde hoisted a blue-chip controversy by declaring Arvind Kejriwal "mad," his party, the Congress, furnished a defense.
The Aam Aadmi Party said there was no evidence to suggest that he made racist comments or misbehaved with African women during a controversial midnight raid that he led at a south Delhi locality last week.
Mr Kejriwal called off his demonstration yesterday after Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung promised to fast-track an inquiry against policemen targeted by Mr Kejriwal's party for alleged inaction.
The morning after Arvind Kejriwal accepted what many see as a face-saving formula and called off his 33-hour protest in the heart of Delhi, his Aam Aadmi Party says it is the "principle that counts" more than the result.
All credit to the LG for using his good offices to resolve a difficult situation. Thanks Najeeb Jung saheb.- Yogendra Yadav (@AapYogendra) January 21, 2014
What appears to be a partial success today might prove to be a turning point in the history of Delhi's governance.- Yogendra Yadav (@AapYogendra) January 21, 2014
Some felt that we did not get our original demands. Nor did Gandhiji. He insisted on principles rather than concrete demands. So does AK.- Yogendra Yadav (@AapYogendra) January 21, 2014
The Delhi Chief Minister calls off his agitation after the Centre partially gives into his demands and sends two cops on leave. Is this a victory for AAP or does this send a dangerous precedent?
- AAP's protest sets a bad precedent in governance
- No sensible person can ever associate themselves with AAP
- Theatre of absurd enacted between AAP and Congress
- AAP has become the item-girls of politics
- AAP has really let me down with their antics
- The fundamental problem is that their Law Minister was trying to do a police act with media presence to cover-up other allegations of corruption which went wrong
- They will cause loss of jobs... I want to tell the youth
- The perception of stability is very important to build a modern nation
- Please think about India not about AAP
- AAP will come up with a gimmick in a few days because it has its eyes set on Lok Sabha polls
- We will continue to fight for Delhi's status as a full state. Today's decision is an important step in that direction
- We are committed to ensuring security of women in Delhi. We have decided to end our 'dharna' after the Lt Governor's appeal
- Lt Governor has decided to send police officers in Paharganj and Malviya Nagar on leave
- Happy to say that this is a victory for the people of Delhi. Want to congratulate people
- Effort on to resolve situation through Lieutenant Governor
- Personal attacks will invite defamation suits
- No question of Delhi government dismissal
- Matter of regret that a a young political party that aspires to acquire a national character is trying to disrupt Republic Day celebrations
- It is a tradition that there is never any controversy over Republic Day functions.
- No government can take this position that it is anarchic in character. Anarchy is the rejection of law
- Congress just wanted to keep the BJP out. AAP didn't have a mandate. Unpreparedness of the Congress to face the electorate has resulted in this crisis.
- In the run up to the Republic Day every year nearly 6000 policemen and women are deployed to secure the area around India Gate, Rajpath, and Vijay Chowk
- The Army does no sanitise or secure the area
- It is the Delhi Police responsibility
- There is no plan to hand over the area to army
- The full dress rehearsal takes place on 23rd
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has said he will not truncate his protest in the heart of the city against the union government and the Delhi Police.
Captain GR Gopinath founded Air Deccan and is considered a pioneer in the low-cost airline sector. He recently joined Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party
"Kejriwal biggest liar in the country, we'll not allow him to run away from responsibility, but if he carries on like this, we may be forced to rethink our support."
- We would request everyone not to break the barricades, we don't have any grudge against any police officials
- Home Minister has to answer why some policemen, against whom enquiry has been ordered, have not been suspended
- If a policeman can't be suspended even after Chief Minister's request, it's police raaj in Delhi: AAP leader Manish Sisodia
- Would request everyone not to break the barricades, we don't have any grudge against any police officials
- Shahnawaz Hussain (@ShahnawazBJP) January 21, 2014
Super n unexpected performance in Delhi polls AAP raised expectations 4 good governance. Now afraid AAP may turn Hindustan into Dharnastan.- Vijay Mallya (@TheVijayMallya) January 20, 2014
Sometimes I think we're happier crying about incompetent governance than giving an evidently sincere man a chance ... and some time #AAP- gaurav kapur (@gauravkapur) January 20, 2014
Sometimes I think we're happier crying about incompetent governance than giving an evidently sincere man a chance ... and some time #AAP- gaurav kapur (@gauravkapur) January 20, 2014
Anarchy in Delhi is a joint operation of Congress and AAP. Congress is unable to fight BJP under Modi and is propping up AAP.- Prakash Javadekar (@PrakashJavdekar) January 21, 2014
AAP wants to divert attention from its inaction against the corrupt Shiela Dixit government and save its own indicted minister.- Prakash Javadekar (@PrakashJavdekar) January 21, 2014
Kejriwal should apologise for his comment about Republic Day and for insulting the Jawans and the Constitution.- Prakash Javadekar (@PrakashJavdekar) January 21, 2014
- The Home Minsiter is saying he can't suspend the SHO so the protest will continue
- Right now we are protesting here, not sure where we will go
- RK Singh's claims on Home Minister could be true as he is not willing to suspend the SHO
- We are not disturbing the Republic Day celebrations
- If corrupt ministers can sit next to Rajpath, then why can't we sit here
- Why is he not stating the reason for not willing to suspend the SHO?
- We didn't pick this spot.Where police stopped us, we sat there. Police must have thought about it.
- Who has stopped metro and why? The Delhi Chief Minister has been pleading to restart Metro services.
- When the Home Minister faced some problems in his house, 10-12 policemen were suspended. Now when a girl is raped, nothing is being done.
- Arvind Kejriwal is signing files and doing all the work from here. If needed, cabinet meeting will also be held on the road.
It is raining heavily near Rail Bhawan, where Delhi chief minster Arvind Kejriwal and his Aam Aadmi Party are continuing their protest against the city's police on Day 2. Mr Kejriwal slept on the road last night.
After a night out on the streets, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal resumed his protest against the city's police in the heart of Delhi today, his supporters staying put despite sudden winter rain and bad weather.
Delhi's Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal slept on the road yesterday, a bitterly cold January night, right next to where his blue Wagon R car was parked near India Gate.
(Photo: NDTV's Vishnu Som)
Somnath Bharti used the women's washroom at the Press Club, while several women were made to wait outside till he was done.
- Has Shinde become a dictator of Delhi? Has the Police Commission become a dictator of Delhi?
- There are no toilets here, yesterday they let me use the one in Rail Bhavan but today they didn't
- I am the CM of Delhi, will Shinde now tell me where to sit? I will tell him where to sit!
- I asked him if people come to him to report rapes, he said 'No' they come to me I am answerable to them
- Shinde acts like he is the Delhi Chief Minister
- On Police Commissioner saying he will back his men: (I would urge him not to back his men but back the people of India)
- Shinde has caused inconvenience to the people of Delhi by shutting metro stations, not me
- Shinde should open metro stations, causing inconvenience to ppl, this place has become jail
- Our ministers pushed public toilets themselves to bring them into the barricaded section
- It's the BJP, Congress who are asking me to resign, my answer is that politics is changing
- Politics in India will now be run from the streets
- What they're calling anarchy is actually democracy
- They wants us to shift to Jantar Mantar, the Delhi CM will decide where he will sit, not the Home Minister
- What is 26 January? Just watching those displays out there is not Republic Day
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, his six ministers and about 200 workers of his Aam Aadmi Party spent the night at the venue of their indefinite protest.
The starless open sky above, many slept on the roads in the heart of central Delhi. The protest site shares a wall with India's Parliament:
Huddled around makeshift bonfires..many supporters spent the night singing and discussing issues, the night temperatures notwithstanding:
Delhi's law minister who has been at the centre of controversies slept on the pavement outside Rail Bhavan:
For those beyond the barricades, slogans and cups of hot tea kept the spirits high:
(Courtesy: NDTV's Ketki Angre)
- How can Home Minister Shinde sleep peacefully at night?
- How can Shinde sleep as crimes occur every day in Delhi?
- This is an indefinite protest
- 'No negotiations, this is not a grocery store'
Arvind Kejriwal, who spent the night on the street near Rail Bhavan, up before day break (Photo courtesy: NDTV's Ketki Angre):
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, his six ministers and about 200 workers of his Aam Aadmi Party are spending the night at the venue of the 10-day protest that they began today; it will be a security nightmare for the police, which is tasked with securing the area ahead of Republic Day.
- While we worry about the language and we must, let us also focus on the substance.
- The question here is who is the police in Delhi accountable to?
- Arvind (Kejriwal) used the word 'anarchy' with a sense of irony.
- AAP is against racism. Foreign nationals are welcome to stay in Delhi.
- I want to assure my friends from Africa, please come here.You come from the land of my hero-Nelson Mandela. Nothing would happen to you.
- Few days ago we were accused of being too cosy with the Congress but now we're being accused of the opposite.
- This is not a fairly convenient location - the police chose this for us. We were going where we wanted to go when we were stopped
- Why does the Home Minister not order an inquiry or at least transfer the three policemen pending an inquiry?
- Don't think more than 40 policemen are needed and that too once in a while. People here are sitting peacefully, singing...
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today defied police orders to launch a 10-day protest against the Delhi Police in the heart of the city, creating a traffic nightmare, and causing the shutdown of four major metro stations.Is Arvind Kejriwal's protest today going too far?
- They have to realise that they are in government and not agitationists any more.
- Is this the way to prepare for the Lok Sabha elections by causing the aam aadmi so much misery?
AAP leaders got into an ugly confrontation with the Delhi Police today in what many saw as a display of the arrogant 'VIP' behavior that they have routinely condemned. (Read more...)
As Arvind Kejriwal takes the chief minister's office to the streets with files by defying police orders to launch a 10-day protest against the Delhi Police in the heart of the city, Manish Sisodia and Ashok Malik clash on what's fair in office - even for the benefit of people.
Central Secretariat and Udhyog Bhavan metro stations will remain closed tomorrow from 6 am to 10 am in the wake of sit-in protest by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party in Delhi.
Delhi's chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and his supporters launched a sit-in against the city police on Monday, creating traffic chaos in the city they govern. Four major metro stations remained closed. The evening rush hour saw a gridlock around India Gate in the heart of the city.
Pictures of bumper-to-bumper traffic on Ashoka Road
- We haven't detained any minister, we haven't beaten up any MLA
- We will maintain peace, deal with AAP dharna, Republic Day function will pass on peacefully and rehearsals will be taken care of
- Can't advise (Arvind Kejriwal) through media but we will take all steps to maintain peace
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today defied police orders to launch a 10-day protest and urged the public to join him in demanding police reforms, starting with the removal of three police officers who refused to carry out a series of arrests on the orders of Delhi's Law Minister, Somnath Bharti.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has been fiercely criticised by both external ally Congress and the BJP for Monday's unprecedented protest in the heart of the capital.
Law-maker from Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) allegedly hurt by cops at the demonstration.
The Congress today hit out at Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal for his agitation targeting the Delhi Police and alleged that he was trying to shift responsibility, wondering who will run Government if the chief minister sits on dharna.
- They think the answer to everything is a protest
- Voters will have second thoughts - did I vote for chaos or order?
- I hope they're not hoping that the Delhi Police misbehaves with them, so that they can go back to the people
None of them finds it odd that an elected government is sitting in protest to push the demand that three Delhi Police cops, who they accuse of dereliction of duty, be suspended.
- People who wanted to hold up the constitution are now going against it
- We've time and again tried to explain to the government that there is a lot of difference between running a government and being an activist
- A government has to run according to the law
- Chief Minister has left the whole city's work and is holding a 'dharna' only to defend his ministers and suspend three policemen
- This is not even a valid reason to hold a 'dharna'
- How can you take the law in your hands?
- I think they(AAP) want to bring Roulette act back
- You're being racist in Gandhi's country
Delhi Chief Minister today delivered an aggressive speech outside Rail Bhavan near India Gate, slamming the Delhi Police and furnishing a list of complaints against the force.
Arvind Kejriwal today defied police orders, urged the capital to join him on a 10-day protest in the heart of the city, and declared defiantly, "Yes, I am an anarchist."
- Aam Aadmi feels Delhi police is useless and corrupt
- The women are the first victims of Delhi police atrocities
- It is extraordinary that a Chief Minister of a state has to sit on a dharna
- In Delhi's Sagarpur area, a woman was burnt by her in-laws, but police hesitates to investigate
- They arrest the father-in-law, but not the other two the woman named
- In another incident, a Danish woman is raped
- Chief Minister says this should be investigated, Centre refuses
- In another incident, residents of Khirki Extension complaint that drug trafficking and prostitution is being carried out. Law Minister asks police to investigate and is refused
- When Home Minister is asked to suspend the police officials, he refuses; instead says an inquiry will be held
- Where the inquiry is being conducted the officer still holds a position there and can influence the probe
- The probe won't be fair if the SHOs are still in charge
- Our manifesto says we will fight to bring the Delhi Police under the Delhi government
- Seeking accountability is the only purpose of Kejriwal's dharna
- We are completely against any kind of racist profiling
- If any of our volunteers or ministers have done any such acts we will take action. There is no truth in charges of racism
- AAP urges people to come out and join the protest. All those who have faced police inefficiency and corruption
- If Delhi Police comes under Delhi government, people's grievances can be addressed
Today the elected representatives of the people are helpless
- The people are saying there is a problem, Ugandan embassy is saying there is a problem. Only the police doesn't think there is a problem.
- Police had said 7 people can go protest outside the north block but they're not responsible for security
- How is asking anyone to quit and join the protests unconstitutional? Anyone can join the protests as a common man
- Delhi government can see the evidence, make a judgement but can't act on the basis of it
- People's complaints are preliminary evidence on the basis on which any government should be able to take action
- We want the law to take its own course. We don't have adequate powers even for preliminary action.
You could hardly blame Arvind Kejriwal, Delhi's new chief executive, for looking dour as he drove to work this week, barely 20 days after his anti-corruption Aam Aadmi, or Common Man, party upended Indian politics and took control of one of the world's most populous cities.
- Republic Day has no meaning if girls, women are unsafe
- January 26 should be celebrated when all the people are safe
- We aren't responsible for the constitutional crisis
- Look into the charges made by former Home Secretary RK Singh.
- We will sit here for at least ten days - I've come prepared with clothes, etc
- L-G and Police Commissioner takes care of the Delhi police
- L-G informed him that the inquiry that goes on will be probed by a revenue officer but there is a judicial inquiry going on in this case
- Sec-144 imposed has been imposed. If they want to protest, they can go to jantar mantar
- The whole country now knows who's anarchist
- There are incidents of rape after rape in Delhi, the police say the inquiry is on, but just an inquiry is not enough
- Someone from the department should be held accountable
- The Delhi Police has to be held responsible for the continuing rapes
- We met the Home Minister and demanded suspension of SHO, but they refused
- On Saturday a lady from Uganda's High Commission sent this letter to Somnath Bharti that women are being brought to India on the pretext of jobs but pushed into prostitution
- We demanded that the area inspector should be suspended in the Danish rape case. Is it wrong?
- No sex racket can exist without the police's knowledge
- Is the ministers' responsibility to sit inside an air conditioned bungalow or work for the people of this country?
- The police commissioner says this doesn't befit ministers. But what can a minister do if the police doesn't respond?
- Shouldn't a minister get out of his or her house and try and ensure the people get justice?
- Don't know what vigilantism is? If the police don't listen, what do the people do? And when the people go to ministers, what should they do?
- People of India need to think why the chief minister of Delhi needs to go on dharna
- Yesterday, Somath Bharti's was trying to contact the police after his attention attention was brought to a body lying on the road. The cops didn't answer his call for an hour.
- Delhi Police takes money from autorickshaw drivers, It has taken money to not take action on lawlessness
- We are here for the security of women
- We want all the people of Delhi to come here to protest against Delhi police
- Former Home Secretary RK Singh said SHOs send money to Shinde for postings
- I said inquiry is fine but at least transfer the SHOs but Shinde saab refused to do even that
- I tweeted and asked people not to come here because of January 26 preparations
- But I couldn't sleep last night, I have thought a lot about it
- Appeal to people to take leave for 5-6 days and join us
- We will sit here and fight for independence - Republic Day begins here today
- My conscience hurts. What's the point of celebrating republic day when the women of our country aren't safe
- Few cops are very honest and loyal
- Police say that we want to work with all honesty but our superiors ask us to collect money and come
- Some cops are honest, many tell us our seniors force us to be corrupt
- I want to tell the police. This country is theirs too.
- Delhi Police officials tired of this corruption should take leave, join us here. We will help you against Delhi police Commissioner
- Independence Day will start here today, we will sit here and demand independence from this
- We don't want anyone to indulge in violence here, tourists are our guests and should be treated well
- Have come prepared for ten days of dharna
- Any constitutional crisis or disturbance in Republic Day celebrations will be the responsibility of Centre
- We will not cooperate with LG's enquiry
- Some say I am an anarchist, yes I am. There is lawlessness in every home in the city. Today I'll spread disorder in the HM's house:
God save us from Chaotic AAP leadership and Corrupt Congress family. We must not waste our vote this time! It's a question of India's future