A pharmacist died and his boss was left hospitalised after the pair drank a chemical concoction they had developed in an effort to treat coronavirus, police said Saturday. The men worked for a herbal medicine company and were testing their treatment - a mix of nitric oxide and sodium nitrate - at a home in Chennai.
K Sivanesan, 47, died on the spot, said local police chief Ashok Kumar. His colleague Mr Rajkumar was recovering from the poisoning.
Mr Kumar said Mr Sivanesan bought the chemicals from a market and developed the formula after conducting research on the internet.
There are no approved medicines or vaccines for treating COVID-19, triggering a global race for a new drug for the disease that has killed nearly three lakh people worldwide.
Nearly 60,000 cases have been detected in India, which has imposed a nationwide lockdown in an effort to halt the spread of the disease.