On the 10th day of his hunger strike, and just before he ended it, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal announced that the anti-corruption activists would float a political party and take their campaign to Parliament. Mr Kejriwal enumerated how this party would differ from other political parties:
Anna Hazare and his aides Arvind Kejriwal, Gopal Rai and Manish Sisodia ended their hunger strike at Jantar Mantar today. Anna had been fasting since Sunday while the three members of his team had been fasting for 10 days.
- We will keep fighting. Change is needed.
- I won't fight elections, but I am ready to support... I have decided this now.
- Corruption is making prices rise. I have full faith that if Jan Lokpal is passed then corruption will decrease.
- The people are the masters of this nation. The power should be in hands of the master. That is what I want.
- Lots of people said if you want to do all this, you can fight elections. So Arvind ji's announcement is inline with that.
- Right to reject, and other such laws should be brought in.
- What do those who are in power know of corruption and the plight of the common man?
- How will you know what the reality is when you're sitting in an AC office all day? Our demand is for them to get Lokpal.
- We've took this road because our well-wishers appealed for us to stop and find alternatives.
"Every one is free to take a decision to launch political party. There is no need for further comment. I welcome it,"he said.
Arvind Kejriwal asks people for their suggestions for the name of the new political party. He also asks people to suggest how they can ensure than once elected, the representatives will not become corrupt. "We want your suggestions? Please tell us what you think. What kind of change does the country need?, " he asks the crowd.
He also says, "If you think Congress can give this nation a future, then well and good. If not, then leave it and join this movement. If you think BJP, SP and all the others can't give this country a future, then leave your parties and join this patriotic movement. How will we fight elections? Where will this money come from? We don't need money when the people are with us."
Anna has not eaten since Sunday; his aides like Arvind Kejriwal have been fasting for twice as long and their health has been a cause of concern. Visibly weak, Mr Kejriwal sat on a chair to address the crowd, and hinted that the group is ready to morph into a political party. "This party will not be like others... the public will decide our agenda. We don't want to win elections... we want to challenge the existing parties. The donations we receive will be posted on our website... this will dare the others to follow," he said.
- I thank god for having given us direction.
- I congratulate all of you, I will not thank you, this is after all your agitation.
- I thank the media - all our friends in the media are also part of the agitation.
- One of the phases of this agitation is over.
- This was my first hunger strike - I got to know for the first time what hunger is.
- I felt the pain of the millions of farmers who go to bed hungry in India.
- This movement started with our demand for Janlokpal - millions were out on the streets.
- The government lost successive elections in states but refused to pass the bill.
- We questioned ourselves why? And we realised there were 15 corrupt ministers; the cabinet needed to be cleansed
- This movement is moving towards a complete revolution - this has moved forward from being a movement merely to get the JanLokpal.
- This government is not moved by hunger strike - this government needs to be uprooted; the system needs to to be cleansed.
- Now we will take this agitation from the streets to the Parliament.
- The objective is not to win elections
- People will choose their candidates; it will not be a party where candidates are chosen by a high command in an AC room.
- We have to challenge the establishment, challenge the political parties.
- We will declare whatever money we raise on our website - we challenge other parties to do the same.
- For the past 16 months, there has been a people's movement against corruption under Anna
- We appealed to Anna because he has to fight a greater battle - to change the politics of India.
- He must bring the true form of democracy to the people.
- I am thankful that Anna heeded to our appeal.
- Corruption is a problem, price rise is affecting common man, it seems that the governance has finished and we have become directionless.
- Inequities in society is rising. The gap between the rich and poor is increasing. The minorities, the backward classes - remain where they were. There can be development only if you remove corruption.
- When there is a calamity, we call in the army. Is this an Army of outsiders? They are people drawn from within you who deliver. In the Army, everyone is a soldier irrespective of caste, creed or religion.
- Remain united. People will try and divide you. Do not let them succeed.
In an NDTV exclusive, BJP President Nitin Gadkari says that his party will support anyone who is against graft, whether it's Anna Hazare or Baba Ramdev.
Watch Supporters divided over Team Anna's move to politics? Video on NDTV.com. Team Anna has asked for feedback from its supporters on whether they should launch a 'political alternative', leading to mixed reactions.
Surrounded by thousands of supporters at Delhi's Jantar Mantar, activist Anna Hazare, still on a hunger strike and his right wrist full of raakhis, made two important announcements on Thursday. He said his aides want feedback within 48 hours on whether they should form a political party. He also said that their fast will end today at 5 pm.