The military has blamed the killings on Rohingya terrorists it claims to be targeting in a crackdown that has sent nearly half a million refugees -- mostly from the Muslim minority group -- fleeing across the border to Bangladesh in one month.
The army operation has been so outsized and brutal that the UN has accused troops of systematically evicting the Rohingya, who have faced decades of persecution in the mainly Buddhist country.
Scores of villages have been burnt to the ground. Rights groups accuse troops of using arson to force the Rohingya out and block their return, a charge the army denies.
On Wednesday a Myanmar minister, Win Myat Aye, was quoted in state media as saying the government would manage all fire-damaged land in Rakhine, a development likely to raise concern about the Rohingya refugees' ability to return.
The army has denied accusations of ethnic cleansing, but has restricted press access to the conflict zone and has posted regular updates that blame Rohingya terrorists for the bloodshed.
The army and government have also sought to highlight the suffering of other ethnic groups swept up in the unrest, such as Rakhine Buddhists and Hindus.
On Wednesday the army flew journalists to the place where the mass graves of 45 Hindu villagers, including many women and children, were discovered earlier this week.
The decomposing skeletal bodies remained laid out in rows on a grassy field outside the village of Ye Baw Kyaw as distraught relatives wailed.
Locals have helped identify 25 of the corpses, according to the government's Information Committee.
Security officers are still searching for 48 missing Hindus who relatives fear are dead.
Deadly raids on police posts by Rohingya terrorists on August 25 sparked the army backlash.
"We begged for our lives"
Hindus who fled the area have told AFP that masked men stormed into their community that day and hacked victims to death with machetes before dumping them into freshly-dug pits.
Speaking to media on the army-led press trip, Maung Ba, a 32-year-old Hindu, said several of his relatives were among those brutally murdered.
"I identified them based on their clothes and body shape," he said solemnly.
Ni Maul, a Hindu leader who has helped with the search, said authorities found the graves using testimony from eight Hindu women who were spared and brought to Bangladesh after they agreed to convert to Islam.
"They kept the beautiful eight women alive to marry," he said.
Four Hindu women displaced in Bangladesh told AFP they were among the eight who escaped the massacre in the same area of Kha Maung Seik, with eight children in tow.
"We begged for our lives, asking they spare the women," 22-year-old Bina Sheel told AFP at a small village for Hindu refugees in the Bangladeshi border district of Cox's Bazar.
"They asked if we would marry them. We said yes, to save our lives."
All four women said they were taken to Rohingya Muslim camps inside Bangladesh by the attackers. Ms Sheel said her captor urged her to convert to Islam before she was brought to the Hindu village by a local leader.
The accounts could not be independently confirmed. The crisis has intensified religious hatreds and fuelled ethnically-charged claims and counterclaims.
The focal point of the unrest, Rakhine's Maungdaw district, was once home to several religious communities, with the Rohingya a majority.
But vast swathes of the border region are now completely emptied of Muslim residents.