The Los Angeles County Coroner ruled his death a homicide and, in 2011, his personal physician Conrad Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Dr Murray was blamed for having given Michael Jackson an overdose of the anesthetic propofol, to help him cope with chronic insomnia as he rehearsed for the series of 50 planned London shows. The Jackson family had accused tour promoters AEG Live of negligently hiring Dr Murray to care for the star as he prepped for his doomed "This Is It" shows. AEG, on the other hand, maintained that Dr Murray was hired by Michael Jackson himself.
In October 2013, a Los Angeles jury decided that AEG Live hired the doctor, but also concluded that the concert promoter was not liable for Michael Jackson's drug overdose death.