- The NIA has got initial leads, let them complete the investigation. They have an idea where the terrorists came from and how they entered. We can only share this much at this moment.
- I would like to congratulate the soldiers as they were able to secure all national assets.
- 5 soldiers were killed which was our bad luck. All martyrs and injured will be considered as battle casualties and their families will be given all related benefits. State government have also announced compensations.
- In the investigation so far, some of the equipment used by the terrorists was made in Pakistan. We'll know more after the investigation is complete.
- In this operation 6 terrorists have been neutralised. Two of those bodies are burnt badly. DNA confirmation will have to be done to double check.
- Combing operations are on. Explosives and high quality ammunition was used by the terrorist.
Cook Madan Gopal, 61, who was in the police SUV that was hijacked by terrorists in Punjab last week, alleges that he was beaten up and tortured by the police when they questioned him after the incident.
'Terrorists didn't know I was Superintendent of Police, my hands and legs were tied up,' says cop who was abducted by the terrorists who attacked the air force base.
"We want friendship with them (Pakistan). That does not mean that we are weak. If Pakistan continues to do such acts then we will give them tit for tat (eent ka jawab patthar se denge)," he warned, in an obvious reference to the terror attack in Pathankot. He was speaking in Hyderabad.
"In line with Pakistan's commitment to effectively counter and eradicate terrorism, the Government is in touch with the Indian government and is working on the leads provided by it," said a press release by the foreign affairs ministry of Pakistan.
- The nation mourns the death of soldiers. It is very unfortunate. The security forces were directed to minimise the casualties.
- Such operations take time because there's a likelihood of explosives planted across the area.
- The prompt action taken by our security forces to contain the terrorists at the entry saved our national assets.
Terror attack on Air Force base in Pathankot is highly condemnable. Kudos to brave soldiers for dispelling the attack & salute to martyrs.- Arun Jaitley (@arunjaitley) January 2, 2016
- No firing or explosion heard for a few hours now
- Search on for any remaining terrorist
- NIA and security agencies have been checking around Bamiyal village - this village is on the Ugh river - possible route of infiltration
In an intercepted call, handlers for the terrorists are reportedly heard asking why second group of attackers had fallen behind. Investigators now say they are sure that the attackers infiltrated India together, but then split up to avoid detection.
Day 3 of Pathankot operation live updates: https://t.co/ogSDB4RdGopic.twitter.com/KI8MipcJRO- NDTV (@ndtv) January 4, 2016
1) Operations for this airbase are going on smoothly.
2) All strategic assets at the air base are safe
3) Given the magnitude, operation to eliminate terrorists being done jointly by NSG and Garud.
4) Eliminated 4 terrorists, operations to eliminate 2 more possible terrorists are in the final stages
5) Area of airbase being very large, combing ops are going on simultaneously
After saying all the terrorists who attacked the Pathankot air base near the Pakistan border were dead, officials said at least two attackers remained and vowed to kill them today to end a more than 48-hour siege.
Family members in mourning as mortal remains of Garud Commando Gursewak Singh arrive in Garnala (Ambala) pic.twitter.com/e6R70Jofoc- ANI (@ANI_news) January 4, 2016
Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah at Bengaluru's BEL Ground pays tribute to NSG Lt Col Niranjan #PathankotAttackpic.twitter.com/QAsccXqWIR- ANI (@ANI_news) January 4, 2016
- Senior police officer and his cook, abducted by terrorists a day before the attack, are being questioned by National Investigation Agency. Their version of the sequence of events is being verified on the ground
- Possibility of terrorist entering in two groups is being looked at very seriously. This had happen in last year Uri attack on an army camp.
- Border Security Force submitting report to Home Ministry on possible infiltration routes
- Operations at the air base, where terrorists had launched a pre-dawn attack on Saturday, had continued overnight.
Heavy gunfire has been heard from inside the Pathankot air base in Punjab, where the operation against holed in terrorists entered its third day
Security deployed outside Indian Air Force Base in #Pathankot (visuals deferred by unspecified time) pic.twitter.com/5GYWZLPRRS- ANI (@ANI_news) January 4, 2016
Every evidence that shows state support in nature of such acts must be used to bring pol embarrassment internationally upon Pak: AM Singhvi- ANI (@ANI_news) January 3, 2016
After intermittent firing and occasional sounds of explosion since 3 pm on Sunday, guns have fallen silent at the Pathankot air force station, reports NDTV's Sudhi Ranjan Sen.
Active operations seem to have been wrapped up for the day with at least one more terrorist killed during the day. Four were killed yesterday.
Authorities however are yet to confirm the death of any terrorists today, waiting for the bodies to be recovered.
Extreme caution needs to be exercised in removing the bodies amid concerns of booby traps and explosives. Indian forces don't want to take undue risks and seem to be in favour of wrapping up operations in daylight tomorrow, sources say.
After the ops is over, there must be a operational review of a nitty-gritty kind: AM Singhvi, Cong #Pathankot- ANI (@ANI_news) January 3, 2016
We all wish our brave jawans the best: Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Congress #Pathankotpic.twitter.com/qE2XvZbEPo- ANI (@ANI_news) January 3, 2016
We will not forget the supreme sacrifice of Lt Col. Niranjan and other jawans who lost their lives while fighting terrorists at #Pathankot- Capt.Amarinder Singh (@capt_amarinder) January 3, 2016
Immediately on landing in Delhi, PM @narendramodi is chairing a high level meeting with the NSA, Foreign Secretary & other officials.- PMO India (@PMOIndia) January 3, 2016
Feeling sad but extremely proud of Lt Col Niranjan and other soldiers who laid down their lives at Pathankot- Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) January 3, 2016
Operation now nears completion: AOC Pathankot Air Force Station JS Dhamoon pic.twitter.com/DgPbstdsky- NDTV (@ndtv) January 3, 2016
- At night operations slowed down and the area was cordoned off
- In the morning, we realised two more terrorists are there
- The operation is at a mature state but confirmation on the number of casualties only after recovering bodies
Here are the highlights:
- Intelligence, Air Force was alerted after attack on SP
- Due to surveillance and alert they were unable to move to the technical area - their target
- They were contained in a non-operational area and surrounded and combing operations were started
- Six terrorists neutralised at Pathankot air base
- Fresh explosion heard inside Pathankot air base
- Mopping operations to continue till tomorrow
They should increase deployment in this fencing area, for this is the second/third time such incident has happened in Punjab-Dy CM Punjab- ANI (@ANI_news) January 3, 2016
Latest updates on terror attack at Pathankot Air Base https://t.co/ogSDB4RdGopic.twitter.com/5sM9vZ5Vel- NDTV (@ndtv) January 3, 2016
Deeply saddened about the loss of Lt Colonel #NiranjanKumar. Sharing the grief of family.- Oommen Chandy (@Oommen_Chandy) January 3, 2016
One more terrorist killed inside Pathankot air base. 4 were killed yesterday
.@ndtv is not broadcasting any details or live information that could jeopardise the operations at Pathankot.- NDTV (@ndtv) January 3, 2016
Security tightened, Delhi on high alert after terror attack on Indian Air force base in #Pathankotpic.twitter.com/9EO4T1fC4n- ANI (@ANI_news) January 3, 2016
Pained to know about the demise of Lt. Col. Niranjan of NSG during mopping out operations at Pathankot. The nation salutes his sacrifice- Rajnath Singh (@BJPRajnathSingh) January 3, 2016