Telangana Polls: Voting began at 7 AM in the 35,655 polling stations across the state.
Polling for 119 Assembly constituencies in Telangana began this morning, with voters queuing up to exercise their franchise amid tight security .
As many as 2,290 candidates from 109 national and regional parties including 221 women and one transgender are in the fray. Their fate will be decided by a total of 3.17 crore voters.
A total of 103 legislators are re-contesting this time, most of them from the ruling Bharat Rasthra Samithi (BRS). Voters would exercise their franchise at 35,655 polling stations set up across the state.
Telangana is the last of five states - the others were Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, and Mizoram - to vote in this round of elections, which has been seen as a semi-final before the 2024 Lok Sabha polls. Counting of votes for all five will take place on Sunday.
Here are the Highlights of Telangana Assembly Elections 2023:
Get NDTV UpdatesTurn on notifications to receive alerts as this story develops.
Voter Turnout Till 5 pm In Telangana Elections 2023 Tripura Governor Urges People To Vote, Says Today Is Not A HolidayAs the polling process is underway in Telangana, Tripura Governor Nallu Indrasena Reddy on Thursday casted his vote in Hyderabad and requested people of the state to step out and vote in large numbers and celebrate democracy.
"Today cannot be declared a holiday, it's a day of the festival and everyone should cast their vote. I request the people of Telangana to vote in large numbers and celebrate democracy," the Tripura governor said.
Telangana AIMIM Leader Akbaruddin Owaisi Casts Vote
Voter Turnout Till 3 pm In Telangana Elections 2023
Actor Ram Charan Casts Vote In Hyderabad
Chiranjeevi, Allu Arjun, SS Rajamouli And Other Celebs Cast Their Vote
Tollywood's biggest superstars are out and about in the city on Thursday.
Megastar Chiranjeevi was spotted at a polling booth in Jubilee Hills, an upscale area in Hyderabad, along with his wife Surekha and daughter Sreeja. Chiranjeevi's nephew superstar Allu Arjun also cast his vote and shared an image showing off the indelible ink on his forefinger. Read here
51.89% Voter Turnout Recorded Till 3 pm
- Telangana recorded a voter turnout of 51.89 per cent till 3 pm in the assembly polls that is currently underway for 119 seats, according to the Election Commission of India.
- According to the Election commission, Medak recorded a voter turnout of 69.33 per cent, Mahabubabad at 65.05 per cent, Adilabad at 62.34 per cent, Hanumankonda at 49 per cent and Hyderabad at 31.17 per cent till 3 pm.
- Jangaon recorded 62.24 percent of voter turnout, while Kamareddy recorded 59.06 per cent.
- The voter turnout in Khammam was recorded 63.62 per cent, Nalgonda recorded 59.98 per cent, Nizamabad at 56.70 per cent, Sangareddy recorded 56.23 per cent and Rangareddy recorded 42.43 per cent.
Actor Vijay Deverakonda casts his vote at Jubilee Hills Public School in Hyderabad, and urges people to come out with their families and vote
Voter turnout till 1 pm in Telangana Elections 2023
YSR Telangana Party president YS Sharmila exercised her right to vote in Hyderabad
Telangana Chief Minister KC Rao casts his vote in Chintamadaka, Siddipet of Medak district
Voter turnout in Telangana Election 2023 at 11 am
Haryana Governor Bandaru Dattatreya casts his vote in Hyderabad
"I have always voted since 1983. Voting is very important to further strengthen our democracy."
Actor Rana Daggubati arrives to cast his vote at FNCC in Hyderabad during Telangana elections
Actor Naga Chaitanya arrives to cast his vote at the polling booth at the Govt Working Women's Hostel in Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad.
Telangana Assembly polls: Actor Meka Srikanth urges people to vote to show power of democracy
Actor Meka Srikanth cast his vote in the Jubilee Hills area of Hyderabad on Thursday and urged people to vote to show power of democracy during the ongoing Telangana Assembly polls.
After casting his vote the actor requested people to vote in a media interaction. He said, "Please do cast your vote."
Vote to strengthen democracy and nation: AIMIM MP Owasi to voters
AIMIM MP Asaduddin Owaisi on Thursday urged voters to exercise their franchise to "strengthen" democracy and further "restore" faith in the Constitution during the ongoing Telangana Assembly polls.
Speaking to ANI after casting his vote in Hyderabad, Mr Owaisi said, "I urge the people of Telangana to exercise their franchise to strengthen democracy....".
He stressed the need for voters to further restore faith in the Constitution and strengthen the nation by exercising their franchise." It is not a day to celebrate at home."
A look at rich candidates (with assets Rs 1 crore and above) contesting in Telangana Assembly Elections
Telangana Assembly Elections: AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi casts his vote in Hyderabad
7.8% Voter turnout in Telangana Election 2023 at 9 am 521 candidates contesting in Telangana Elections 2023 have criminal cases against them
Actor Nagarjuna arrives at polling booth with wife Amala Akkineni in Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad
Actor Chiranjeevi, with family, arrives at polling booth in Hyderabad to cast vote
Union minister and Telangana BJP chief G Kishan Reddy arrives at a polling station in Barkatpura of Hyderabad to cast his vote
Women's musical band outside polling booth number 188 in SR Nagar to motivate people to vote in Telangana elections
BRS MLC K Kavitha after asting her vote in Hyderabad
Rahul Gandhi Urges Telangana People To "Step Out And Vote In Large Numbers"
Congress MP Rahul Gandhi urged the people of Telangana to vote in large numbers in the elections to the 119-member state Assembly. He posted on X:
PM Modi urges people to vote in record numbers. He posted on X:
Voting begins for the Telangana Assembly Elections
- More than 2.5 lakh staff will be engaged in poll duties for the assembly elections, Chief Electoral officer Vikas Raj has said.
- About 77,000 security personnel, comprising state police and Home Guards drawn from the state and neighbouring states, besides 375 companies of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF), have been deployed across the state as part of the security arrangements for the election.
- For the first time in Telangana, home voting facility was provided to persons with disabilities and voters above 80 years.
- As per the seat sharing agreement, BJP and actor Pawan Kalyan-headed Jana Sena are contesting in 111 and 8 seats respectively.
- The Congress has given one seat to its ally CPI, and is fighting from 118 others.
- Asaduddin Owaisi-led AIMIM has put up candidates in nine segments in the city.
- As many as 2,290 contestants are in the fray for the upcoming elections, including Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao, his minister-son K T Rama Rao, state Congress president A Revanth Reddy and BJP Lok Sabha members Bandi Sanjay Kumar and D Arvind.
- The model code of conduct came into force in the state after the Election Commission announced the schedule on October 9.
- BRS has fielded candidates in all 119 seats.
- Polling is underway to elect 119 members of the Telangana Legislative Assembly, with voters queuing up to exercise their franchise amid tight security on Thursday.
- Voting began at 7 AM in the 35,655 polling stations across the state, officials said.
- There are 3.26 crore eligible voters, including 1,63,13,268 male voters and 1,63,02,261 female electors, in the state.