Swami Vivekanada birth annivarsary is observed on January 12.
New Delhi: Swami Vivekananda was one of the greatest spiritual leaders from India. He is seen as a key figure to have introduced Indian philosophies of vedanta and yoga to the western world. It was his 1893 speech at the World's Parliament of Religions in Chicago that made him popular as "Messenger of Indian wisdom to the western world". He was the chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic Ramakrishna and founder of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission. He was considered a major force in bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion in the late 19th century. His birth anniversary on January 12 is observed as Swami Vivekananda Jayanti every year. Since 1985, the day is also celebrated as National Youth Day.
Here are 10 thought-provoking quotes from Swami Vivekananda
- Arise, awake and stop not till the goal is reached.
- Take up an idea, devote yourself to it, struggle on in patience, and the sun will rise for you, Swami Vivekananda had said.
- This life is short, the vanities of the world are transient, but they alone live who live for others, the rest are more dead than alive.
- If I do an evil action, I must suffer for it; there is no power in this universe to stop or stay it.
- After so much austerity I have known that the highest truth is this: He is present in every being! These are all in manifold forms of him, Swami Vivekanada had said.
- There is no other God to seek for! He alone is worshipping God, who serves all beings!
- Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
- India is immortal if she persists in her search for God. But if she goes in for politics and social conflict, she will die.
- Be a hero. Always say, "I have no fear." Tell this to everyone-"Have no fear," Swami Vivekananda had said.
- To believe blindly is to degenerate the human soul. Be an atheist if you want, but do not believe in anything unquestioningly.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.