Rahul Gandhi is in Gandhinagar to induct OBC leader Alpesh Thakore in to the party.
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi is addressing a public rally in Gandhinagar. The rally is organised by young Gujarat Other Backward Classes leader Alpesh Thakore, who is joining the party in his presence. Mr Thakore had on Saturday night announced he was joining the Congress, hours after Congress leader Bharatsinh Solanki urged Patidar leader Hardik Patel and Dalit leader Jignesh Mewani to also join the party.
Here are the live updates from Rahul Gandhi's visit to Gujarat:
GST is Gabbar Singh Tax: Rahul Gandhi
- Modi ji crippled the entire economy of India
- I called (former Finance Minister P Chidambaram) Chidambaram ji after they announced it (note ban).Even he could not understand why they did it
- Then they did not stop there
- GST was the Congress party's idea. You had to understand the principle
- It was supposed to be one tax, at one rate and with minimal paperwork. But they did not listen to us
- They said not one rate, we will do five. They even did not listen to our warnings
- And like demonetisation, they said we will start it at midnight
- We then requested them to roll it out gradually but they did not listen to this too
- One blow was demonetisation, the other was GST
- GST is Gabbar Singh Tax
Rahul Gandhi on note ban, GST
- PM takes credit for everything that happens in India, be it a rocket launch or economic progress
- On the other hand, we listen to what you (people) have to say
- Noteban, GST - dunno what happened on Nov 8 last year
- Modiji appeared on the TV and said 'bhaiyo aur beheno, I'm the PM and I don't like these 500 and 1000 rupees notes, so I'm going to ban them come midnight.'
Congress stands for the voice of the people: Rahul Gandhi
- Cong stands for the voice of the people
- The party will do whatever it can to protect the interests of the youth, the poor and the people at large
Rahul Gandhi on controversy over Amit Shah's son
- PM said 'na khaaunga, na khaane dunga'
- ...Jay Shah's company saw its fortunes rise thousand-fold while other companies failed
- So Jay Shah 'khaata gaya' but Modi ji said nothing
Loan waivers are for rich industrialists, not poor farmers: Rahul Gandhi
Rahul Gandhi targets PM on allocating farmers' land to Tata for Nano factory
- You gave 35K crore to Tata for the Nano factory
- 35K crore could have waived all farmers debts in Gujarat
- I ask PM Modi, how many Nano cars were made from the allocated money? Where did the money go? I dont see that many Nanos on the roads
Gujarat is priceless. It has never been been bought. It can never be bought. It will never be bought: Rahul Gandhi
Gujarat's voice cannot be suppressed or bought with money: Rahul Gandhi Over 30 lakh people are employed in Gujarat: Rahul Gandhi
- For the last 22 years, the government of Gujarat has not been of its people, but of a handful of industrialists
- That's why the people of Gujarat are on streets today
- The government's job is to create jobs, but check your phone, what does it say - Made in China or Made in Gujarat?
- Anything you buy, is made in China. Everytime you click a selfie, a youth in China gets employment
- Modi ji speaks of creating jobs; There are 30 lakh unemployed youth in Gujarat
Hardik Patel has clarified he was neither meeting Rahul Gandhi nor joining the Congress. "I am committed to the cause of the Patidars and will aggressively work against the BJP, who have treated the Patidars as sheer vote bank for ages," he told news agency IANS. "There is no need for me to join the Congress while the party has my moral support," Mr Patel told IANS.
"Thakore is joining the Congress. We appreciate Hardik Patel's decision not to meet us but it is significant that the party has his moral support," Congress General Secretary Ashok Gehlot said. "The bottomline is that all these three young leaders want to see the BJP out."