Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday said India has a talent and ability to become a toy hub for the entire world and called upon startups to work towards realising this potential while being "vocal about local toys". He said the global toy industry is over Rs 7 lakh crore but India's share is very small, as he stressed on the need to work to increase it.
PM Modi called upon start-up entrepreneurs to ''team up for toys'' and said it is time to get vocal for local toys. In his monthly ''Mann Ki Baat'' broadcast, PM Modi also said people have shown an unprecedented restraint and simplicity in their festivals during the COVID-19 pandemic.
He also hailed farmers for an increase in the sowing area for different grains. "This is a time for festivals but at the same time, there is also a sense of discipline among people due to the COVID-19 situation...There is a close link between nature and our festivals," PM Modi said.
He also asked young entrepreneurs to develop computer games in and also about India.
In his address, PM Modi also noted that India will complete its 75 years of Independence in 2022 and suggested a host of measures to teachers to help bring to light contributions of thousands and lakhs of "unsung heroes" of the freedom struggle. It is important that our youngsters are aware of them, he said.
Here are the highlights of PM Modi's address on "Mann Ki Baat"
- PM Modi begins his address.
- Onam festival also being celebrated with gaiety and fervour. This festival arrives in the month of Chingam. During this period, people buy something new, decorate their homes, prepare Pookalam, enjoy Onam-Saadiya. Variety of games, competitions also held.
- The zest of Onam today has reached distant shores of foreign lands. Be it America, Europe or Gulf countries, the verve of Onam can be felt everywhere. Onam is increasingly turning out to be an international festival.
- "I urge our start-up to 'Team up for Toys', this also matches our call for Vocal for Local." I urge our young brothers to make games in India and also on India.
- "We have many different applications that are made in the country - like 'Koo' for microbloging and 'Chingari' - and these are gaining popularity."
- India will complete its 75 years of Independence in 2022 and suggested a host of measures to teachers to help bring to light contributions of thousands and lakhs of "unsung heroes" of the freedom struggle. It is important that our youngsters are aware of them.
- September should be observed as a 'nutrition month'. PM Modi says the correct amount of nutrition received during childhood ensures a child's proper physical and mental development and health.
- On September 5, we will celebrate Teachers' Day. I am happy how teachers and students are working together to develop innovations.
- PM talks about the importance of ensuring one's safety amid the coronavirus pandemic.