New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who continues to pitch 'Digital India' in Silicon Valley, addressed a Townhall session with CEO Mark Zuckerberg at Facebook Headquarters.
Following are the highlights of the session:
- Mark Zuckerberg: It's an honour to welcome you PM Modi.
- PM Narendra Modi: Mark thank you very much. I am really happy to be at Facebook and to connect with you today.
- PM Narendra Modi: When you (Mark Zuckerberg) came to India, you went to a temple. And look, where you have reached.
- PM Narendra Modi: Today we are an 8-trillion-dollar economy and my dream is to make India a 20-trillion-dollar economy.
- Mark Zuckerberg: You were one of the early adopters of Internet, social media, and Facebook. Did you think it would become a tool for governance?
- PM Narendra Modi: When I joined social media I never imagined I will become Prime Minister one day.
- PM Narendra Modi: Social media brought a big change in my thought process.
- PM Narendra Modi: The power of social media today is that it can tell governments where they are going wrong... social media allows governments a chance to fix their mistakes.
- PM Narendra Modi: China has a different social media structure but I am even active there.
- Question from audience: Do you (PM Narendra Modi) think it has become easier to do business in India? What do you think is the future of 'Make in India' programme?
- PM Narendra Modi: When you have to turn a scooter it takes half a second. But when you are turning a train, it takes a while. We have low cost manufacturing, skilled manpower, raw material and the biggest market... We have 3Ds: demographic dividend, democracy and demand. And I Have added fourth D - Deregulation. I believe these factors will make 'Make in India' successful.
- Question for audience: I work for women's empowerment. What is being done for women empowerment in India and what is your stand on the issue?
- PM Narendra Modi: We have launched 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao' programme. Women should become part of the decision making process.
- Mark Zuckerberg: We have many things in common. Family is very important to us. Both my parents are here. I understand your mother is very important in your life.
- PM Narendra Modi: I congratulate Mark's parents, their son has changed the world. My parents have played a very big role in my life, I come from a poor family... you probably know that I used to sell tea at the railway station.
- PM Narendra Modi is moved to tears while talking about the struggles of his mother while raising him: My dad is no more. My mother took a lot of pain to raise me. She used to clean dishes, work as labourer. And this is not in the case of just one Narendra Modi. A mother will never want you to become something, she will think about how you will achieve that.
- Mark Zuckerberg: Such an honour.
- PM Narendra Modi: Very grateful that I could connect with the world.