Congress President Rahul Gandhi and party General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra were campaigning in Uttar Pradesh today. The leaders reached the Kheri parliamentary constituency, where Mr Gandhi addressed a public gathering in support of party candidate Zafar Ali Naqvi. Mr Gandhi also visited Lakhimpur, along with party in-charge for western Uttar Pradesh Jyotiraditya Scindia. He also addressed public meetings in Unnao and Kanpur. Priyanka Gandhi started her day's campaign with rallies in Khaga, Ghazipur and Fatehpur. She then visited Bundelkhand to hold a road show in Mahoba district.
Of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh, 26 seats have gone for polls so far.
Here are the highlights from Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi's rallies in UP today:
- PM Modi shielded the interest of 15 selected people, leaving farmers and the poor high and dry
- This "chowkidar" obliged 15 selected people during his five-year term but told sugarcane farmers that cane-farming caused sugar (diabetes)
- Anil Ambani, who never manufactured an airplane, was awarded with a Rs 30,000 crore contract, but cane farmers were told that cane-farming caused sugar (diabetes) when they demanded their dues
- Narendra Modi in 2014 made a number of false assurances of "achhe din" (better days), of two crore jobs, of Rs 15 lakh in every bank account but none of them came true
- Has any assurance come true in five years?
- Nyay scheme was pronounced after due consultation with economists and think-tanks
- Unlike notebandi (demonetisation) and "Gabbar Singh Tax" by the Narendra Modi government which disturbed the economy and employment, Nyay will benefit the economy by enhancing demand for consumer goods and thus, boosting the manufacturing sector and employment