PM Narendra Modi's visit to the Russian Far East Region is the first by an Indian prime minister.
PM Narendra Modi and Russian President Putin today held delegation level talks. Before holding the talks, PM Modi and President Putin visited the Zvezda shipbuilding complex. PM Modi said, "President Putin showed me cutting edge technologies at the shipyard. My visit opens up new pathways of cooperation in this important field." Both sides will sign agreements across sectors such as defence, trade, investments, industrial cooperation, energy and connectivity corridors at the summit. Russian President Putin is expected to host PM Modi for a one-on-one dinner. Ahead of his visit, PM Modi said his visit underlines the desire of the two countries to diversify and further strengthen bilateral relations. His visit to the Russian Far East Region is the first by an Indian prime minister.
Here are the live updates of PM Narendra Modi's visit to Russia:
India and Russia discuss trade and investment
Both sides discussed cooperation in trade and investment, oil and gas, mining, nuclear energy, defence and security, air and maritime connectivity, transport infrastructure, hi-tech, outer space and people-to-people ties.
Russia and India exchange agreements PM Modi, Russian President Putin hold delegation level talks
- PM Modi held delegation-level talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the sidelines of the 5th Eastern Economic Forum.
- PM Modi said, "Russia is an integral friend and trustworthy partner of India. You have personally focussed on expanding our special and privileged strategic partnership. As two integral friends, wé have met regularly. I have spoken to you over telephone on several issues, I have never felt any hesitation."
- He also said, "You've announced that I'll be awarded with Russia's highest civilian award. I express my gratitude to you and people of Russia. This demonstrates the friendly relations between the people of our two countries. It's a matter of honour for the 1.3 billion Indians."
- He said, "Your invitation to me, for Eastern Economic Forum is a matter of great respect. This is a historical occasion to give a new dimension to the support between the two countries. I am waiting to participate in the forum tomorrow."
Russian President takes PM Modi around Zvezda shipbuilding complex PM at Zvezda shipbuilding complex in Vladivostok Visual of PM Modi warmly meeting Russian President PutinPM Modi spends quality time with Russian President Vladimir Putin aboard a ship while on way to Zvezda shipbuilding complex. PM Modi visits Zvezda Shipbuilding Complex
- PM Modi visited Zvezda shipbuilding complex along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and interacted with the management and workers of the shipyard.
- During his visit to the shipyard, Prime Minister Modi was accompanied by President Putin. The two leaders hugged and shook hands before their departure for Zvezda shipyard.
- PM Modi interacted with the management and workers of the shipyard.
- In the future, the ships built at that shipyard "will be used to deliver Russian oil and liquefied natural gas to world markets, including India," President Putin's aide Yuri Ushakov was quoted as saying by Tass news agency.
- The Zvezda shipyard is being set up on the base of the Far Eastern Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Center by a consortium of Rosneft, Rosneftegaz and Gazprombank. The shipyard will produce heavy tonnage ships, offshore platform elements, ice-class vessels, special vessels, and other marine equipment, according to the Russian news agency.
PM Modi leaves for Zvezda Ship Building Complex
- PM Narendra Modi leaves for Zvezda Ship Building Complex with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other dignitaries.
PM Modi to visit Zvezda Ship Building ComplexPM Narendra Modi will visit the Zvezda Ship Building Complex with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Visuals of PM Modi and Russian President Putin in Vladivostok Visuals of PM Modi taking guard of honour in Vladivostok
PM Modi gets guard of honour in Vladivostok, Russia
Schedule of PM Modi in in Vladivostok, Russia
- 0900 hrs - Arrival Vladivostok International Airport
- 1400 hrs - Joint Visit to 'Zvezda' (Shipbuilding Plant)
- 1600 hrs - India-Russia 20th Annual Summit
- 1800 hrs - Bilateral meeting with Russian President Putin, delegation level talks
- 1800 hrs - Exchange of agreements and press statements
- 2100 hrs - Joint visit to 'Street of the Far East' exhibition
- 2200 hrs - Dinner hosted by Russian President Vladmir Putin for PM Modi
Vladivostok is 4.30 hours ahead of India so PM Putin press statements will be at 1:30 pm IST approximately
PM Modi's agenda during his Russia visit
- PM Modi will attend the annual Eastern Economic Forum (EEF) and hold bilateral Summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Some agreements are expected to be signed between the two countries after the talks between PM Modi and President Putin which are likely to focus on giving a fresh impetus to the Strategic relationship.
- The discussions are likely to focus on giving a boost to bilateral trade and investment and cooperation in the fields of defence, energy, infrastructure and various other sectors.
- The issue of tension between India and Pakistan over Jammu and Kashmir may also figure in the talks.
- PM Modi and President Putin are expected to discuss a proposal to establish a free trade zone between India and the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU), a five-nation grouping, comprising Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia and Belarus, formed in 2015 to create conditions for the stable development of economies of the member states.
- PM Modi will visit a ship-building facility here before the talks.
- PM Modi, who is the chief guest, at this year's Eastern Economic Forum, will address the event tomorrow.
- About his visit to the Zvezda ship-building complex, Modi said in his pre-departure tweets, "It would present a great opportunity to learn about Russia's exemplary capabilities in the ship-building sector as well as explore possibilities of cooperation in this area. "
- The EEF is held annually with the objective of facilitating accelerated development of the Russian Far East's economy and expanding international cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region.
- During the EEF, a "Russia-India" dialogue is planned as part of the Forum's business programme, to be attended by representatives from both countries. In addition, India will have a national stand at the EEF venue to present the country's economic, industrial, tourism and cultural potential.