Here are the Highlights of Karti Chidambaram's arrest:
In its remand application filed in the court, the CBI claimed that sustained interrogation of Karti Chidambaram was needed to unearth the "total conspiracy" hatched in the case and also to find out the details of overseas payments allegedly received by him from INX Media as a "quid pro quo".
"Thus, Karti Chidambaram needs to be subjected to sustained interrogation for unearthing the total conspiracy hatched in the case and also to find out the details of overseas payments received by him from INX Media as a quid pro quo for influence exercised by him over the public servants to scuttle the punitive action required to be taken against M/S INX Media (P) Ltd for the illegal acts of receiving excess investment than the approved FDI and also for making of downstream investment without the FIPB approval. For this purpose, his police custody remand for a period of 15 days is considered essential," the CBI said in the court.
The duty magistrate remanded him to one-day CBI custody and asked the agency to produce Karti before the concerned judge tomorrow: news agency PTI
"Karti was arrested for violating the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA). To the best of my knowledge, FEMA is a civilian offence, not a criminal one," he said.
I'm not a Hindustan "leaver", I'm a Hindustan returner. Is this less than Ashwathama's half truth in Mahabharata? : Abhishek Manu Singhvi (Counsel for Karti Chidambaram) in Court- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
P Chidambaram has maintained that neither he nor any of his family member or relations have ever had or have its stake, shareholding or directorship of Advantage Strategic Consulting Pvt Ltd or INX Media Pvt Ltd at any point of time: Randeep Surjewala #KartiChidambarampic.twitter.com/ALcdzHzCyr- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
#KartiChidambaram has no connection with the Advantage Strategic Consulting (P) Limited which allegedly received kickbacks and always co-operated with ED and CBI in the case: Abhishek Manu Singhvi (Counsel for Karti Chidambaram)- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
Out of the blue arrest is made today, 11 years after the so-called incident & after due appearance before CBI & submission of all documents. FIR till today does not mention or name #KartiChidambaram as an accused: Randeep Surjewala pic.twitter.com/ooLAuFBTJ8- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
PM & his ministers using political witch-hunt & malicious intent to deflect heat from bank scam & losses to public exchequer. Political persecution of P Chidambaram & his son by puppet CBI to serve agenda of their political master is nothing but cog in this wheel: R Surjewala pic.twitter.com/cXRDoc0FK8- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
Abhishek Manu Singhvi tells Court that it is most bizarre case against #KartiChidambaram by CBI. The arrest is motivated. He hasn't been given a single summon in last 6 months & allegations made by CBI that he is not cooperating, when no summon has been issued after August 2017.- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
CBI says "#KartiChidambaram is evasive in his replies and investigation. He made incorrect statements with respect to evidence. All this delays the conclusion of investigation." https://t.co/NgJDHJdt0k- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
#KartiChidambaram's Chartered Accountant S Bhaskararaman files bail plea in the INX Media case. Enforcement Directorate had arrested S. Bhaskararaman from a hotel in Delhi on February 16.- ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
Mr Gehlot said on Twitter, Mr Karti Chidambaram was arrested when he landed at Chennai airport, he was not trying to escape from India like Nirav Modi then arresting him on his arrival at airport is funny. Karti Chidambaram was cooperating with the CBI, the CBI could have summoned him."
Mr Karti Chidambaram was arrested when he landed at Chennai airport, he was not trying to escape from India like Nirav Modi then arresting him on his arrival at airport is funny. Karti Chidambaram was cooperating the CBI, the CBI could have summoned him.- Ashok Gehlot (@ashokgehlot51) February 28, 2018
- Karti Chidambaram's arrest showed the government's "double standards".
- While Nirav Modi and Vijay Mallya were not stopped from fleeing the country, Karti Chidambaram was arrested even when he returned from a foreign tour, he told news agency PTI.
- He also questioned the timing of the arrest, asking if it had anything to do with the Karnataka elections and whether it was aimed at deflecting attention from the Nirav Modi fraud case.
- The nation, he added, was questioning the Centre on "Chhota Modi".
- "Fantastic double standards. Amazing selectivity. Nirav; Lalit and Mallya not stopped from fleeing; Karti arrested on arrival, returning after repeated foreign trips. Few lakhs become 80 crore in few months in Jai Ho case no raid no arrest, instead gag order. 10 lakh allegation and arrest!" he said on Twitter.
- "FIR recently filed in PC case. Allegations exist in public domain for over one year with many appearances for questioning; how can sudden custodial interrogation be justified. If no flight risk, no tampering, available for questioning, how and why arrest? Karnataka elections?" he added.
Fantastic double standards. Amazing selectivity. Nirav; lalit & Mallya nt stopped frm fleeing; karti arrested on arrival, returning after repeated foreign trips. Few lacs become 80 cr in few months in Jai ho case-no raid no arrest, instead gag order. 10 lacs allegation & arrest!- Abhishek Singhvi (@DrAMSinghvi) February 28, 2018
"This is complete vendetta politics, this is completely malafide," he said.
Karti Chidambaram being taken to Delhi's Patiala House Court, he was taken into custody by CBI, earlier today, in connection with the INX media case.
- All these matter should not be seen in political context
- The agencies which are probing these matters are working without any bias and preconceived notions
Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram's son Karti Chidambaram was arrested in Chennai today in a corruption case, sources said. He is accused of receiving kickbacks to clear foreign investment worth around Rs. 300 crore in television company INX Media, using the influence of his father, who was then the Union finance minister.