Assam's Bogibeel Bridge will reduce travel time from Assam to Arunachal Pradesh to 4 hours. (File)
Billed as India's longest railroad bridge, Assam's Bogibeel Bridge was opened to traffic today by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The five-kilometre structure spans the waters of the mighty Brahmaputra River. It is India's only fully welded bridge for which european codes and welding standards were adhered to for the first time in the country, said Chief Engineer Mohinder Singh.
The bridge, constructed at an estimated cost of Rs. 5,900 crore, has a serviceable period of around 120 years, will reduce travel time from Assam to Arunachal Pradesh to four hours and will cut out the detour of over 170 km via Tinsukia.
Here are the highlights from Bogibeel Bridge inauguration:
Here are the main pointers of the prime minister's speech:
- The inauguration of the Bogibeel Bridge is a historic feat and I am glad to be here in Assam, among you all on this special day.
- The people of Assam have made a strong contribution towards the development of our nation.
- Several stalwarts from Assam were involved in the freedom struggle as well.
- I am in Assam on the day we mark the Jayanti of our beloved Atal Ji.
- Atal Ji gave great importance to good governance.
- Good governance is all about strong and inclusive growth
- The Bogibeel Bridge is a lifeline for the people of Assam. It has enhanced connectivity between Assam and other parts of the nation.
- The bridge is a lifeline connecting the lives of millions of people in the region. It has reduced the distance between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- I congratulate the entire team that worked hard to compete the bridge.
- About 16 years ago, Atal Ji came here. He had a vision for the development of the Bogibeel Bridge. This Bridge is also a tribute to that vision of Atal Ji.
- When Shri Vajpayee's Government lost power in 2004, several key infrastructure projects of his era were not completed.
- Things have changed after May 2014 when topmost priority is being accorded to key projects.
- Delayed infrastructure projects were adversely impacting India's development trajectory. When we assumed office, we added speed to these projects and worked towards their quick completion.
- Nearly 24 lakh free gas connections have been given to Assam's poor sisters under the Ujjwala scheme. The result of which is in 4 and half years 80% houses have gas cylinders as compared to 40% four and half years back.
- Under the Saubhagya yojana, more than 12 lakh households in Assam have been given free electricity connections in a year. This has increased the reach of electricity in the state from 50% to 90%.
- You should also remember the situation when there were no bank accounts of brothers and sisters who worked in tea gardens. Under the Janadhan scheme, 7 lakh workers have been given a bank account. If I speak about the entire state, there are about one and a half crore Janadhan accounts that have been opened by the government.
- The worst harm of the poor, exploited and deprived is corruption. Corruption strips rights from the poor, makes his life difficult.
- So for the past four and a half years our government has been fighting for the rights of the poor on one side where black money and corruption have been fought against with full force.
- On one hand, our government has been given a home to more than 1.25 crore under the Pradhan Mantri Aawas Yojna and on the other hand, we have seized properties (bungalows and cars) of corrupt people worth 5000 crore.
- On the one hand, our government has given the youngsters the registration of a new company in just one day, and on the other hand the registration of more than three lakh suspected corrupt companies' licenses have also been suspended.
- On one hand, our government under the Mudra Yojana has given a loan of Rs 7 lakh crore to women, youngsters without a bank guarantee for self-employment and on the other hand we got back the crores that were stuck in bank because of the last government.
- On one hand, our government is offering free treatment of up to Rs 5 lakh to the poor under the Ayushmaan India scheme, so the other side is taking strict steps to eliminate corruption in the medical sector.
- 4 years ago no one thought that the AgustaWestland helicopter deal middleman could be brought to India. But our government has made it possible to bring him to the country.
- Earlier there used to be dilly-dallying in implementing development projects, NDA govt changed that.
- Around 5,500 km national highways being constructed in northeast at a cost of Rs 70,000 crore.
- If former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee had a second term, Bogibeel Bridge would have been ready by 2008-09.
Watch PM Modi speak at the Bogibeel Bridge inauguration:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi flags off the New Tinsukia - Naharlagun Express linking Naharlagun in Arunachal pradesh to Tinsukia in Assam.
PM Modi to address a public rally in Dibrugarh. Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal also present.
A new dawn heralds for Assam and the North East, says Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates the Bogibeel Bridge in Assam.
PM Modi lands in Dibrugarh, Assam.
More than 50,000 people have gathered at the public event in Dhemaji from where PM Modi will address them.
After inauguration, PM Modi is expected to take a 5km ride on the road bridge to the other side, Dhemaji, and flag off the New Tinsukia-Naharlagun intercity express linking Naharlagun in Aruanchal pradesh to Tinsukia in Assam.
PM Modi will land at Dibrugarh in Assam at 1:30pm and will directly go to the Bogibeel Bridge for inauguration.
"It's a huge Christmas gift from Prime Minister Narendra Modiji to the people of North-East," tweets Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju.
The bridge has a two-line railway track on the lower deck and a three-lane road on the top deck. It will reduce the Delhi to Dibrugarh train travel time by about three hours.
With its proximity to the China border, the Bogibeel Bridge has tremendous significance for India's defence and has been built strong enough to support the movement of tanks and even fighter jet landings.