Kefir and its health benefits
- Kefir is a cultured and fermented beverage
- Kefir is rich in proteins
- Most people who are lactose intolerant can opt for kefir
What is kefir? Does it taste good? Is it nutritious? Well! All your answers are here. Kefir is a cultured, fermented beverage that tastes almost like a yogurt drink. It has a creamy flavor, and it has a wealth of nutrients. Kefir is most commonly made with dairy milk, but it can be made with non-dairy alternatives as well like rice milk, goat's milk, coconut milk or coconut water. Kefir is fermented therefore; most people who are lactose intolerant can opt for kefir. Now adays, kefir is easily available in the general stores. As kefir is a fermented drink, one must adhere to the strict guidelines to ensure that it is safe for consumption. If it is made incorrectly it can make you fall ill. It is advisable to buy kefir from a reputable source and look at the nutritional label before buying, rather than making it at home.
Kefir has a creamy flavor, and it has a wealth of nutrients
Photo Credit: iStock
Also read: Want To Lose Weight? Diabetic? Do Not Have Milk, Says Luke Coutinho; The Truth About Milk
1. Prevents Cancer: A life-threatening disease, cancer is spread by uncontrollable growth of cancerous cells and tumor. The amount of good bacteria which is found in the kefir has the potential to impede the tumor development. The probiotics in the kefir slows down the conversion of specific components into carcinogens in your body. Kefir is even said to work as an antioxidant which is necessary to strengthen your immune system.
Also read: Foods That Can Cause Cancer; Diet Tips To Prevent Cancer
2. Detoxifier: Your body needs detoxification regularly to discard the harmful toxins, chemicals and poisonous waste. Regular consumption of kefir helps remove toxins, and the other health benefits will function to strengthen your internal body.
3. Improved stomach health: Stomach has both good and bad bacteria. Maintaining a balance between the two helps keep the stomach healthy. Kefir is a probiotic food which helps in treating diarrhea caused by infection or antibiotics. Kefir also helps in treating peptic ulcers.
4. Weight loss: If you include low-fat kefir in your diet, it will help you lose weight. Kefir is rich in protein which helps you feel full for long periods of time. Although, drinking too much kefir can hinder weight loss and even lead to weight gain.
Kefir is rich in protein which helps you feel full for long periods of time.
Photo Credit: iStock
Also read: 5 Things Everyone Gets Wrong About Weight Loss
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.