Father of Maldivian Model Accuses Her Indian Friend Of Murder

Father of Maldivian Model Accuses Her Indian Friend Of Murder

Maldivian model Raudha Athif was found dead in her college in Bangladesh.

Dhaka:  The father of a Maldivian model who was found dead in her college in Bangladesh last month has accused her best friend, an Indian, of murder.

Muhammad Atif, father of Raudha Athif, lodged a case with the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate on Monday afternoon accusing her daughter's classmate Sirat Parveen Mahmud, 21, Prothom Alo reported.

Ms Athif, an international model, was on the cover of the October 2016 issue of Vogue India magazine. She was considered a rising star and was an MBBS student in her sophomore year at Rajshahi Islami Bank Medical College.

The second year MBBS student of Islami Bank Medical College in Rajshsahi, was found dead in her college dormitory room on March 29.

In his complaint, her father mentioned that her classmate broke open the door and lowered the hanging body. He wrote in the complaint that the classmate might have strangled the model.

The college authorities had informed police that Raudha Athif committed suicide by hanging.

Sirat Parveen Mahmud, who is from Jammu and Kashmir, was a friend of the Ms Athif at the dorm. They lived in adjacent rooms.

According to her earlier testimony, she was the last person to see Raudha Athif alive, Dhaka Tribune reported.

Her father, Mr Athif said, "I am certain my daughter was murdered. There were fingerprints around her neck. From the looks of these prints, Raudha was choked to death by a right-handed person,"

"If she had committed suicide, then why was her body taken down before the police arrived? This is a murder," he is quoted as saying.

Advocate Kamrul Monir told reporters that the court has taken cognisance of the case and directed the Shah Makhdum Police to act on it.

The lawyer said that about a week before the student died, she had told her mother that her classmate Sirat Parveen Mahmud had given her fruit juice spiked with sleeping medication.

According to college authorities, Ms Mahmud claimed to be the first person to discover Ms Athif's body on March 29. She had claimed to have seen her hanging body through the window, after which she allegedly broke the door down and brought down the body.

But the door showed no signs of forced entry, and the fan was too high for a person to reach even if they got on a chair, the daily said quoting college authorities.

The most suspicious fact in the incident is the revelation that the CCTV camera outside Raudha Athif's room seemingly malfunctioned on the night of March 28. The camera was functioning properly throughout the day, choosing only that particular night to fail to work, the daily said.

Raudha Athif and Sirat Mahmud were both living in a separate building for international students on the campus.

The college authorities claimed to have advised the student's family of the developments.

The autopsy was carried out at Rajshahi Islami Bank Medical College Hospital on March 31. The autopsy report said suicide as the cause of death. Ms Athif was buried on April 1 in Rajshahi by her family after they received the autopsy report.

Rajshahi Metropolitan Police spokesperson Iftekhar Alam had said the police also suspect the cause of death to be suicide, brought on by depression.

Last Thursday, two police officers arrived in Rajshahi from Maldives to look into the circumstances surrounding Raudha's death, the daily reported.

NDTV Beeps - your daily newsletter

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................