Advertisement

Trump Shares Map Of Strait Of Hormuz As "New US Territory", Again

Iran has asserted control of the Strait of Hormuz, through which around one fifth of the world's oil and LNG exports passed before the war.

Trump Shares Map Of Strait Of Hormuz As "New US Territory", Again
Trump had earlier posted the same image on August 18.
  • US President Trump posted a map claiming the Strait of Hormuz as US territory again
  • The strait has been closed by Iran since February 28 amid ongoing conflict
  • Iran requires vessels to get permission and pay fees to transit the waterway

US President Donald Trump on Sunday once again posted a map depicting the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway for global oil, natural gas and other supplies, as "new US territory".

In a post on his Truth Social platform, he shared a picture of a map that had circled the critical chokepoint -- which has been shut down by Iran since the war broke out on February 28 -- as the "new US territory".

Trump had earlier posted the same image on August 18.

The US president had first pitched declaring the strait part of US territory on August 15.

"After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated -- pretty soon I'll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States," he said during a rally in New York.

"It's true," he added.

Iran has asserted control of Hormuz, through which around one fifth of the world's oil and LNG exports passed before the war, and has made it mandatory for vessels to obtain permission and pay transit fees before using the waterway. Trump, however, claims that the US "has total control" over the strait.

Iran Says Hormuz Won't Open Until US "Corrects" Behaviour

Iran on Saturday said the Strait of Hormuz remains closed and will not reopen until the US fulfils its commitments and "corrects its behaviour".

"The Strait of Hormuz is closed, despite American claims, and will not open until America corrects its behaviour," Mohsen Rezaei, the head of Iran's supreme national security council, said on state television.

"This time, America must first fulfil its obligations," he added.

ALSO READ | "Can't Be Seized By A Tweet": Iran On Trump's 'Will Soon Declare Hormuz US Territory' Remark

Rezaei also warned countries against participating in Trump's "economic war" against Iran, saying they would be considered enemies.

"We declare to all countries... do not join the economic war waged by the United States," he said.

"Any country participating in the imposition of economic restrictions against us is considered an enemy," he added.

If the countries concerned refused to "distance themselves" from the US, Iran would "harm" their interests, Rezaei said.

He also insisted that Iran had more cards to play in the war, claiming that "we have not yet attacked any American economic interests". 

"So far, we have only targeted military bases, but if they want to impose economic sanctions on us, the United States has oil and economic companies around Iran and elsewhere, and we will strike them," he said. 

Should Trump "take action, our confrontation will be like an earthquake", he added.

How may i help you today
Show full article

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us:
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com