- Maundy is from the Latin word mandatum which means Mandate or Command.
- This refers to the command that Jesus gave his disciples during the Last Supper. The commandment, written in the Gospel of John, said, "A new commandment I give unto you: That you love one another, as I have loved you, that you also love one another."
- It is the fifth day of Holy Week, and is preceded by Holy Wednesday and followed by Good Friday.
- Maundy Thursday marks the beginning of the three day celebration of Easter.
- Queen Elizabeth II will observe Maundy Thursday by taking part in the distribution of alms, a tradition that dates all the way back to the Middle Ages. The Royal Maundy Money will also be distributed to senior citizens.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.