PM Modi launches BJP membership drive in his parliamentary constituency Varanasi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched the BJP's countrywide membership drive in his parliamentary constituency Varanasi on the birth anniversary of Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee. Anyone can become member of BJP by giving a missed call on mobile number 8980808080.
During his address to the party workers PM Modi slammed those criticizing Budget 2019 as "professional pessimists".
He had tweeted that the drive will connect people from all walks of life with the BJP family and will strengthen the party.
PM Modi unveiled a statue of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri and then launched a tree-plantation campaign, "Anand Kanan", in the temple city.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Governor Ram Naik received the prime minister at the Varanasi airport, along with BJP working president J P Nadda and Union minister Mahendra Nath Pandey.
Here are the live updates of PM Modi's Varanasi visit:
Don't get in trap of professional pessimists: PM Modi
- The country needs to be careful and distance its from professional pessimists (peshevar nirashavaadi), who create doubt and fear and always complain that nothing is achievable and everything is a waste of time.
- You go to them looking for a solution, but you will come back with more problems and troubles than you ever imagined.
- These professional pessimists do not believe that anything is possible. They will paint a gloomy picture. They will tell you why things cannot be done, why India cannot reach the 5 trilllion dollar economy target. Beware of these pessimists!
- In fact, I will tell you that believe in yourselves, we are on the right track. We are moving in the right direction and that is what is crucial for us to reach our destination.
Water for every household is our dream: PM Modi
- Water is essential for development, water is essential for life without it, we cannot survive. Water is a big focus area for our government. We have an ambitious plan to ensure that there is clean, piped water that reaches every household in the country within the next few years.
- There is a lot that needs to be done to conserve water and how to utilize it better and more wisely in farms. We need to focus on ways of irrigation in which we can save as much water as we can.
- Micro-irrigation and drip-irrigation is very significant to achieve this.
New India is eager to run faster: PM Modi
- New India on threshold of racing ahead, says PM, referring to Union budget 2019-20.
- Our vision is for the next 10 years, says PM Modi.
- Budget was the roadmap for towards $5 trillion economy.
- We have a plan to ensure that by the time India celebrates its 75th year of independence, every Indian family will have their own home.
- Another thing that we are focusing on is our dependence on petrol and diesel that we import. Each year, we spend more than Rs 6 lakh crore just to import petrol/diesel. Imagine what we can achieve if that money can be saved.
- This year's budget has given great importance for rental housing. The Central government is preparing a blueprint for all state governments to implement the rental housing program to make it affordable for all, and ensure that there are better standards of living.
- Not just in rental housing, even for home loans, there are provisions in the budget to make interest rates even lower so that those who look to make their own home or buy one, can find it even more affordable to do so.
PM Modi explains meaning of 5 trillion dollar economy to BJP workers
- PM Modi elaborates his thoughts on Union budget and India's growth trajectory in coming years in his address to people in Varanasi.
- There are some who doubt and say that such a target (5 trillion dollar economy) is beyond India's capability and is not possible for Indians to achieve.
- They forget that hardships dont deter us (Indians). I can see in the youth and others too, a fire to take this country to great heights. The hardships make us stronger and even more determined.
- Despite tough times in the past, despite all that India has been through, we have kept moving forward. This time too, we shall move ahead and achieve this target with a greater zeal.
- To put it in simple terms, to reach 5 trillion dollars, our economy has to nearly double.
- I am fortunate that I have got the opportunity to help grow this party. It means so much more that this membership drive kicks-off on the 118th birth anniversary Dr. Syama Mookerjee
- It was my honour to unveil a statue of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur's Shastri at Varanasi Airport today.
PM Modi kick starts BJP membership drive
- PM Modi launches BJP mobile number 8980808080 on which anyone can give a missed call to become the member.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adtiyanath addresses BJP workers
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adtiyanath addresses BJP workers in Varanasi during BJP membership drive programme.
PM Modi launches a tree-plantation campaign
- PM Modi launched a mega plantation drive in Uttar Pradesh by planting a sapling at a primary school in Varanasi.
- The plantation drive was launched at Harahua primary school in Anand Kanan forest on the Panch Kosi Marg where Lord Shiva was believed to have stayed with Parvati for some time.
- A total of 27 lakh saplings and trees were being planted with the help of farmers and residents to increase the green cover in Varanasi.
- Five children who have been named as 'Bal Vriksha Mitra' also planted saplings. These children will be responsible for the upkeep of these saplings.
- BJP state co-in charge Sunil Ojha said, "The party has pledged to make the mega plantation drive a grand success. The drive has to be launched in the entire district to ensure plantation of over 27 lakhs saplings, but the BJP is focusing on massive plantation along the Parikrama route where 60,000 saplings will be planted."
- Divisional Commissioner Deepak Agarwal said, "The mega plantation drive launched by the Prime Minister will continue till the end of September."
PM unveils statue of Lal Bahadur Shastri
On his arrival, PM Modi unveiled a tall bronze statue of late Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, outside the terminal building of the Varanasi airport.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister receives PM Modi at the airport
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath along with BJP working president JP Nadda receive PM Modi at the airport.
- PM Narendra Modi was greeted by son of former Prime Minister of India Lal Bahadur Shastri and senior Congress leader Anil Shastri at Varanasi airport.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri's younger son and BJP leader Sunil Shastri was also present
PM Modi arrives in Varanasi
PM Modi arrived in his parliamentary constituency Varanasi.
PM Modi tweets about the membership drive programme in Varanasi
Senior BJP leaders part of BJP membership drive
- BJP's membership drive chairman and former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will begin the drive in Gurugram.
- Sharing the details of the BJP's membership drive, Shivraj Singh Chouhan said the party has set a target of adding minimum 20% more workers in its current strength through this drive, which will conclude on August 11.
- Anyone can become member of BJP by giving a missed call on mobile number 8980808080 or by filing a form, Shivraj Singh Chouhan said.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will participate in the BJP's membership drive programme in Jaipur.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah will participate in the BJP's membership drive programme in Hyderabad and Union Road Minister Nitin Gadkari in Nagpur respectively.
- Amit Shah will visit Shamshabad in Telangana, which is known as the gateway of south India. The state ruled by Telangana Rashtra Samitihi has a significant 12% Muslim population. The BJP won four of the 17 Lok Sabha seats in the state and is eyeing to replace Congress as the main opposition party.
- Union Ministers Piyush Goyal and Thaawar Chand Gehlot will launch the membership drive in Goa and Raipur respectively.
- Dharmenra Pradhan will be in Odisha, Nirmala Sitharaman in Kerala, Ravi Shankar Prasad in Chennai, Bhupendra Yadav in Patna and Narendra Singh Tomar in Chandigarh to launch the campaign.
PM's schedule in Varanasi today
- PM Modi will unveil the statue of Lal Bahadur Shastri at Varansi airport at 10:30 am.
- He will launch a tree plantation drive at 10.55 am.
- At 11:30 am, PM Modi will launch the BJP's membership drive.
- PM Modi will launch a mobile number 8980808080. Anyone can become a BJP member by giving a missed call to the number.
- PM Modi will address around 5,000 party workers at Deendayal Upadhyaya Trade Facilitation Centre in Bada Lalpur.
- Later he will visit Virtual Museum, Man Mahal.
- PM Modi is expected to be accompanied by BJP working president JP Nadda in Varanasi.
JP Nadda in Lucknow for BJP membership drive
- BJP working president JP Nadda is in Lucknow for the launch of BJP membership drive.
- He said his aim is to include as many as 20 crore members in BJP.