- ITR filing after the due date will attract penalties from the income tax department. If your income is less than Rs 5 lakh, the penalty would be Rs 1,000. For people with an income of more than Rs 5 lakh, the penalty would be Rs 5,000. The penalties will further increase if the income tax is filed after December 31. The amount of money charged as penalty or fine for a belated ITR increases will be based on the degree of delay.
- Another important thing to remember in ITR filing is that you must verify the income tax return after submitting it. This can be done in 5 ways - through Aadhaar OTP (One-Time Passcode), bank ATM, bank account, demat account, net banking or by sending a signed ITR-V form to the Centralized Processing Centre (CPC) in Bengaluru.
- If you make a mistake while filing your Income Tax Return, you can still make changes to it till March 2019.
- According to Income tax laws in India, you can carry forward your business loss or any unabsorbed loss under house property and capital loss for up to 8 years. But if you miss today's deadline of ITR filing, you will not be eligible to carry forward the business loss. So don't miss today's deadline to file income tax return.
- You can simply file income tax return online by visiting this website: http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in or any other agent websites. Keep basic details and documents like PAN card number, bank account details, Form 16 handy before filing the return. You should have breakup of salary, last year's tax returns, bank statements, TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) certificates and profit and loss account statement, if applicable.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.