A Kolkata metro passenger died on Saturday after his hand got stuck in the train door. The incident took place in the evening around 6:40 pm at the Park Street metro station. The man was trying to board the train and was on the platform outside when his hand got stuck. The door, equipped with sensors, is believed to have malfunctioned.
The man, identified as Sajal Kumar Kanjilal, was taken to a hospital nearby where he was declared brought dead. He was 66 and a resident of south Kolkata. A high-level inquiry into the incident has been ordered and an inquiry committee has been set up by metro authorities.
For passengers stuck inside the train, it was a nightmare. Either because power supply to the electric lines were shut off or for some other reason, the air conditioning inside the coach shut down and passengers began to suffocate.
Some passengers claimed they were stuck for almost 20 minutes before they were led out to the emergency gate at the back of the train. They said there were no announcement over the internal system in the train about what had happened.
Metro services were suspended in the south section till about 7:30 pm.
The Kolkata Metro network operates one line which covers 27.22 km from Noapara to Kavi Subhash, connecting the north to the south. Five other lines are currently under various phases of construction. The metro rail service began operations in February 1995 and was the first underground railway to be built in India. There are 24 station in the network.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.