- Army has expressed regret over the civilian deaths in Qazigund
- Curfew is in force across the 10 districts of the Valley
- Valley has been tense after the encounter of Hizbul Terrorist Burhan Wani
Neelofar who was injured in retaliatory firing yesterday after the protestors pelted stones at an Army vehicle in Qazigund, died this morning.
Three other persons, including a woman, were killed and seven others injured in the incident.
Army has expressed regret over the death of civilians. They have also ordered a probe into the incident.
A police spokesman, giving details of the incident, said an army mobile patrol party was moving towards Devsar and tried to clear a road blockade erected by some persons at Churaht Qazigund.
"An inquiry has been ordered into the incident," a defence spokesman said.
He said Army will provide all possible assistance to the bereaved families and to those injured in the "unfortunate" incident yesterday.
"The Army deeply regrets, the unfortunate loss of life in the incident at Churat, Qaziund where the troops were forced to open fire yesterday when a large mob turned violent, resorting to heavy stone pelting and attempted to snatch weapons from the soldiers," the spokesman said.
The Army also appealed to the people to maintain peace and refrain from attacking security forces or their vehicles. "Army today appealed to the people to maintain peace and refrain from attacking security forces or their vehicles or establishments thus creating situations where the security forces are left with no option but to retaliate in self defence," the spokesman added.
"The security squad while removing the obstructions came under heavy stone pelting by the miscreants from two sides. The Army party warned the mob to maintain distance but it did not relent.
"Some miscreants tried to snatch weapons from them and tried to set ablaze the vehicles. Despite repeated warnings the mob did not disperse and army fired in self defence in an effort to move out from the spot," the spokesman said, adding six persons were injured in the incident out of which two had succumbed last night.
Curfew, meanwhile, remained in force across the 10 districts of the Valley as there was no sign of deadly clashes between protestors and security forces ending.
The clashes began soon after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8.
Police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in strength across the Valley for strict implementation of the prohibitory orders, the official said.
He said there were no reports of fresh violence from anywhere in the Valley so far.
Normal life also remained paralysed for the 11th day today due to separatist sponsored strike, which has now been extended till July 22.
In a joint statement, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik yesterday said the shutdown in the Valley will continue till July 22. However, they have announced a relaxation of half day from 2:00 PM onwards on July 21.
Mobile telehony and mobile Internet services also remained shut while newspapers failed to hit stands for the fourth day.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.