Iran said on Thursday that number of deaths from coronavirus had risen to 26 and the total number of infected people now stood at 245, the highest number of deaths from the virus outside China.
"In the last 24 hours, we have had 106 (new) confirmed cases. The death toll has reached 26," Health Ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur told state TV, calling on Iranians to avoid "unnecessary trips inside the country."
Kianush Jahanpur said there were plans to impose some restrictions at holy Shi'ite Muslim sites and cancel some sermons on Friday, the Islamic Republic's traditional day of public prayer
"But it needs the approval of the president before being carried out," he said, adding that hundreds of those suspect of being infected by the virus had recovered and been discharged from hospital.
Authorities, including President Hassan Rouhani, said on Wednesday that Iran had no plans to quarantine any "cities and districts" despite the sharp rise in numbers in a short time.
Officials announced Iran's first deaths and infections from the coronavirus as recently as last week.
However, Kianush Jahanpur said the government had extended its closure of cinemas and temporary ban on cultural events and conferences for one more week.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)