Pak's Lashkar Planning Blast Near Delhi's Red Fort, Other Cities: Sources

The possible blast is being planned to avenge the February 6 blast in a mosque in Pakistan's Islamabad, sources said.

Advertisement
Read Time: 2 mins
According to sources, the LeT is plotting an IED attack.
Quick Read
Summary is AI-generated, newsroom-reviewed
  • Lashkar-e-Taiba is planning IED attacks near Delhi's Red Fort and other religious sites
  • The terror group aims to avenge Islamabad mosque blast that killed 31 people, sources said
  • This comes after the November 2025 Red Fort car blast that killed 12 and injured nearly two dozen
Did our AI summary help?
Let us know.
New Delhi:

Pakistan's Lashkar-e-Taiba has been planning a blast near Delhi's Red Fort, and other prominent religious places across the country, including a temple in Chandni Chowk, sources said, citing security agencies.

Sources suggest that the terror outfit may be plotting an improvised explosive device (IED) attack.

The outfit is allegedly seeking to avenge the February 6 suicide blast at a mosque in the Pakistani capital Islamabad, in which 31 people died, and over 160 were injured, sources said.

The Islamic State group, however, had claimed responsibility for the mosque attack. "Upon reaching the inner gate of the temple, the martyrdom-seeker detonated his explosive vest amidst the Shi'a congregation, inflicting a large number of deaths and injuries," IS said in a statement.

This comes three months after a deadly car explosion near the historic Red Fort in Delhi on November 10, 2025 - in which 12 people were killed, and nearly two dozen were injured. The blast, caused by a car loaded with explosives near the Red Fort Metro Station, triggered fires in multiple nearby vehicles. Umar Mohammad, alias Umar Un Nabi, a doctor at the Al-Falah University in Faridabad, was driving the car that exploded, according to DNA test results.

The incident took place on a day when 2,900 kg of explosives, including ammonium nitrate, were found just 50 km from the capital, in neighbouring Haryana's Faridabad. Sources said that Umar Mohammad reportedly panicked and triggered the blast near the Red Fort after investigators arrested two key members of the module - Dr Muzammil Shakeel and Dr Adil Rather - and seized the explosives.

At least seven people, identified as Amir Rashid Mir, Jasir Bilal Wani, Mufti Irfan Ahmad Wagay, Dr Muzamil Shakeel Ganie, Dr Adeel Ahmad Rather, Dr Shaheen Saeed and Soyab - have been arrested in connection with the case. Their judicial custody was recently extended till March 13.

Advertisement

A Delhi court last week granted 45 days to the National Investigating Agency (NIA) to conclude its probe in the blast case.

Topics mentioned in this article