Congress parliamentarians met this morning to elect leader of the Congress Parliamentary Party or CPP exactly a week after party chief Rahul Gandhi told the party's top decision making, Congress Working Committee, that he would like to resign over the election debacle. UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi has been elected as the CPP chief.
This would not just be the first meeting of the CPP after the national elections but also the first meeting of Rahul Gandhi with party leaders after he announced his decision to quit as party chief last Saturday.
The Congress won just 52 of 542 parliamentary seats this time, its second worst performance since 2014 election. The party is three members short of the total that would qualify it for the post of Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha.
Here are the Highlights of Congress Parliamentary Party meeting
The Congress Party may have just 52 Lok Sabha members, but we will work together like a pride of brave hearted lions to protect our Constitution & Institutions & to fearlessly do our duty as the leading Opposition party. The BJP will have no walkover in Parliament. pic.twitter.com/Rx8aUZcqn3- Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) June 1, 2019
Congratulations to Smt Sonia Gandhi on being elected Leader of the Congress Parliamentary Party. Under her leadership, the Congress will prove to be a strong & effective opposition party, that will fight to defend the Constitution of India. pic.twitter.com/iUcdB51tHE- Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) June 1, 2019
- "I thank the 12.3 crore voters and tell them their vote will be protected for democratic institutions"
- "Thank Rahul Gandhi for toiling night and day and taking on the Modi government"
- "Raising concerns about all sections of society and helped the party win in Mp Chattisgarh and Rajasthan"
- "The CWC met to deliberate must take steps"
- "Even with small numbers we made our presence felt and cooperated with the government"
- "This time too we will support progressive inclusive development"
- "We will oppose divisive measures"
- "Must assure the people of India of an alert and conscious opposition"
- "People of India expect us to earn their mandate and we must work toward it"
- "There is a huge challenge that lies ahead"
Shri Rahul Gandhi thanked the voters & Congress workers.- Randeep Singh Surjewala (@rssurjewala) June 1, 2019
He says, 'every Congress member must remember that each one of you is fighting for the Constitution, for every person in India irrespective of the color of his skin or belief'. pic.twitter.com/yMtE6IWUXo
- "We have 52 lawmakers, we will fight the BJP every single every day."
- "You have to understand who you are first. You are fighting for every single Indian," he told party lawmakers
- "Hatred cowardice and anger is fighting against you," Mr Gandhi said
- "BJP says we want a congress freedom because they have no opposition and do this with love and compassion," he added
- "You have to be more aggressive," he told Congress lawmakers
- "I would be happy if the old faces were here and they are ideologically with us," he stressed
- "We will try and rejuvenate ourselves and we can do it," Mr Gandhi said