Parkland Shooter's Public Defenders Ask To Withdraw From Case

In asking to step down as Nikolas Cruz' lawyers, the Broward County public defender's office said it is not allowed to represent a "non-indigent defendant."

Parkland Shooter's Public Defenders Ask To Withdraw From Case

Nikolas Cruz has confessed to opening fire on his former classmates at a high school in Parkland.

Miami:

Confessed Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz' public defenders have asked to withdraw from the case after learning that he seeks to inherit more than $400,000, according to court records.

In asking to step down as Cruz' lawyers, the Broward County public defender's office said it is not allowed to represent a "non-indigent defendant."

In the United States, when someone accused of a crime is unable to afford their own lawyer, a public defender is appointed to defend them.

In their motion, the public defender's office said it has learned that Cruz "is a beneficiary in a MetLife life insurance policy and is entitled to half of a death benefit valued at $864,929.17."

According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Cruz and his brother Zachary are beneficiaries of a life insurance policy that was taken out on their mother, who died suddenly in November 2017.

The newspaper said Cruz was unlikely to see the money, however, because of civil suits filed against him by the families of the victims.

Cruz has confessed to opening fire on his former classmates at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14, 2018, killing 14 students and three staff members.

The withdrawal of the public defender could delay his trial, which had been expected to begin in January.

"This will only cause more delay," said Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter Jaime was among the victims.

"I am furiously mad right now," Guttenberg said on Twitter.

More News