US President Donald Trump addressed the UN General Assembly in New York today.
US President Donald Trump addressed the UN General Assembly in New York today. Trump made his case for keeping pressure on Iran, which comes in the backdrop of the attacks on Saudi oil facilities. He also talked about the situation in Hong Kong and the tariffs imposed by the US on China. The US president's speech to the UN General Assembly is always one of the highlights of the world body's annual get-together. But Trump is an awkward fit at an organisation designed to collaborate over the planet's problems. Last year, Trump boasted that he had "accomplished more than almost any administration" in US history. Diplomats laughed. The US will hold its presidential elections next year.
Here are the highlights from Donald Trump's speech at the UN:
- I have the immense pleasure of addressing you today.
- The United States rigorously defends customs that have made us who we are.
- If you want freedom, take pride in your country.
- If you want peace, love your nation. The free world must embrace its national foundations. It must not attempt to erase them or replace them.
- The future does not belong to globalists. The future belongs to patriots.
- The future belongs to sovereign and independent nations who protect their citizens, respect their neighbors and honor the differences that make each country special and unique.
- Jobs are being produced at a historic rate.
- We want balanced trade which is reciprocal.
- I have made clear we stand ready to complete a new trade agreement with the UK. We are working closely with PM Boris Johnson for a magnificent trade deal.
- Supply chains are relocating back to America after imposing tariffs on China.
- For years, these (trade) abuses (by China) were tolerated, ignored, or even encouraged. But as far as America is concerned, those days are over.
- Hope we can reach an agreement which is balanced for both countries.
- We are also closely monitoring the situation in Hong Kong. How China chooses to handle the situation will say a great deal about its role in the world in the future. We are all counting on President Xi as a great leader.
- The world fully expects that the Chinese government will honor its binding treaty... (and) protect Hong Kong's freedom and legal system and democratic ways of life.
- I will never fail to defend America's interest.
- Hoping to free itself from sanctions, the (Iranian) regime has escalated its violent and unprovoked aggression. No responsible government should subsidise Iran's blood lust.
- It is time for Iran to stop threatening other countries.
- As long as Iran's menacing behavior continues, sanctions will not be lifted -- they will be tightened.
- America's goal is not to go with these endless wars; wars that never end.
- The US wants partners, not adversaries.
- We will never stop working to make peace at reality (in Afghanistan).
- Each of you has the right to protect your borders.
- We are working closely with our friends in the region to uphold the integrity of borders.
- You (illegal immigrants) will be promptly returned home as long as I am president of the United States.
- We are also committed to support those who live under brutal pressure in countries such as in Cuba and Venezuela.
- We are watching the situation in Venezuela very closely.
- America will never be a socialist country.
- These totalitarian ideologies have the power to exercise new and disturbing forms of suppression and domination.
- Freedom and democracy must be constantly guarded and protected.