US President Donald Trump said he is looking at a new trade deal with China.
US President Donald Trump addressed the annual State of the Union address today to a newly divided Congress that is likely to be skeptical of his agenda. He used his State of the Union address on Tuesday to call for a new era of cooperation to break "decades" of political gridlock and unlock America's promise. Trump vowed to get his disputed border wall built despite Democratic opposition, even as he urged Congress to "work together" and forge a deal on border security.
It was the president's first speech in the House since the Democrats took the lower chamber back in a landslide last year -- leaving Congress split with Trump's Republicans still in control of the Senate.
Here are the highlights of Donald Trump's State of the Union address:
Donald Trump ended his address by saying, "We must always keep faith in America's destiny-that one Nation, under God, must be the hope and the promise and the light and the glory among all the nations of the world."
Judah Samet is a member of the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh. In October 2018, he survived the horrific shooting that killed 11 members of his community. Judah is also a survivor of the Holocaust. Judah immigrated to Israel after the war and was present for the declaration of the Israeli State in 1948. He served as a paratrooper and radio man in the Israeli Defense Forces and moved to the United States in the 1960s.
Timothy Matson joined the Pittsburgh Police Department in 2005 and made the SWAT team in 2016. As a key member of the SWAT team, he would breach the entrance during raids, a very dangerous task. In October 2018, Tim responded to the mass shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and saved countless lives in that heinous, anti-Semitic attack.
Donald Trump on ISIS and terrorism:
- We have spent more than $7 trillion in the middle-east.... Great nations do not fight endless wars. We have taken a new approach.
- When I took office, Syria was a mess with the spread of ISIS. Now, we have eliminated the ISIS from Syria. It is time for Syria's homecoming.
- It is time now that we end this long and bloody conflict in the region.
- We are currently in talks with the Taliban... We will now focus only on counter-terrorism. After two decades of war in Afghanistan, the time has come for peace, and the other side wants it too.
- American will never let the radical dictatorship in Iran to get hold of nuclear weapon.
- American will also never let injustice be done to the Jewish people.
Donald Trump on Venezuela:
We stand with the Venezuelan people in their noble quest for freedom-and we condemn the brutality of the Maduro regime, whose socialist policies have turned that nation from being the wealthiest in South America into a state of abject poverty and despair.
Tom Wibberley is the father of Navy Seaman Craig Wibberley, a Seaman killed on the USS Cole. Craig grew up in Williamsport, Maryland, and enjoyed fly fishing, snow skiing, and working with his father on old Corvettes. He had a passion for computer science and decided to join the Navy to serve his country and pursue an opportunity to further his training in computers. Craig served aboard the USS Cole with distinction and was accepted to the Navy Information Technician School. His commander planned to recommend him for Officer Candidate School. However, on October 12, 2000, Craig and 16 fellow members of the crew were killed in a terrorist attack. Craig was only 19. After Craig's death, a scholarship fund was created that gives out four $1,000 scholarships each year to students studying computer science.
Donald Trump on North Korea:
- I am doing all I can to ensure a peaceful process in North Korea. Had I not been the president, then by now the United States would have been in a war with North Korea over their missiles. But we have avoided that. My equation with Kim Jong Un has been good so far.
- Kim and I will meet again on February 27 and 28 in Vietnam.
Donald Trump on NATO:
- For years the United States was taken advantage of by our friends in NATO - in which the contribution of funds were unfair to us and was grossly unequal. People said it can't be done, but guess what, I am happy to inform you all that the United States has saved more than $100 billion so far from our NATO friends.
- Under my Administration, we will never apologise for advancing America's interests.
Donald Trump on Nationwide paid family leave:
I am also proud to be the first President to include in my budget a plan for nationwide paid family leave-so that every new parent has the chance to bond with their newborn child.
At an early age, Grace decided that she wanted to forgo gifts at her birthday parties, and instead ask for charity donations. At 9 years old, Grace was diagnosed with Germinoma, a germ-cell brain tumor, and in May 2018, Grace started cancer treatment. Throughout the rest of the year, Grace stayed positive and strong, making the rounds in the hospital, cheering up other patients, and always having a smile for the many caring medical professionals who treated her. Grace recently finished chemotherapy and today shows no evidence of the disease. She is determined to help other children who are fighting cancer.
Donald Trump On Medicines:
- Even when it comes to drugs and pharma products, we see that patients here in America have to pay vastly more for the same drug/medicine than what patients pay in other countries, even when the drug is made in the exact same place. Let me inform you that no longer will this be permitted. We will end it.
- We have increased funding for research of HIV AIDS. America is determined to to end AIDS, not just in our country, but across the world.
- We are also determined to do all we can to fight cancer.
Donald Trump On China:
- We have shown China that after decades of them stealing intellectual property, our hard done research, our industry and American jobs, China has understood that it will no longer work.
- But I don't blame them to take advantage of us, I blame our weak leaders, who didn't do anything about it.
- I must inform you that we are now looking at a new trade deal with China and President Xi, which is based on equal terms. No longer can they take advantage of us.
- We are also wanting to pass the reciprocal tax, where if one country places an unfair tariff on a given product, then we can levy the same tariff on the same product when they sell it to us. Business will be done at equal terms.
Donald Trump On women's contribution in the US' economy:
- No one has benefited more in America's resurgent economy than women, who have got 58% of all the new jobs created.
- I am happy to say, that there are more women working now in the United States than ever did in its history... and here too... there are more women working in Congress than ever did in its history.
- As part of our commitment to improving opportunity for women everywhere, this Thursday we are launching the first ever Government-wide initiative focused on economic empowerment for women in developing countries.
"I will get it built," Donald Trump tells Congress of border wall: news agency Agence France-Presse.
Donald Trump On Illegal Immigration:
- Now is the time for the Congress to show the world that America is committed to ending illegal immigration and putting the ruthless coyotes, cartels, drug dealers, and human traffickers out of business.
- Tonight, I am asking you to defend our very dangerous southern border out of love and devotion to our fellow citizens and to our country.
Elvin Hernandez is a Special Agent with the Trafficking in Persons Unit of the Department of Homeland Security's Homeland Security Investigations division. He has more than 18 years of Federal law enforcement experience investigating narcotics, gangs, and human trafficking. During his current 7-year assignment, Elvin has conducted numerous successful international human trafficking investigations involving transnational organized crime groups.
Donald Trump On US- Mexico border wall:
- Wealthy politicians push for open borders, while themselves living a safe, secure life behind walls, boundaries and gates... but the working class American pays heavily for this attitude of wealthy politicians. They have to deal with cheaper wages, drug-trafficking, lesser jobs, and much more.
- This dangerous southern border must be dealt with. The divide between wealthy politicians and working-class Americans must end. No longer must the latter have to pay for the choices of the former.
- Crime rates are directly linked to our dangerous southern border. Thousands of Americans have been killed by illegal aliens who have come to our country through that dangerous southern border.
Debra Bissell, Heather Armstrong, and Madison Armstrong
Gerald and Sharon David of Reno, Nevada, were tragically murdered in their home in Nevada by an illegal immigrant in January 2019. The terrible loss has devastated both their community and three generations of their family who will be represented at the State of the Union: the Davids' daughter Debra, granddaughter Heather, and great-granddaughter Madison.
Donald Trump on National Security:
- Congress has only 10 days left... Republicans and Democrats must now come together to secure our southern border in order for our national security, and end the business of drug cartels and human traffickers, and show the world that when it comes to illegal immigration, America means business.
- If people want to come to America, they must come here legally.
Matthew Charles's life is a story of redemption. In 1996, he was sentenced to 35 years in prison for selling crack cocaine and other related offenses. While in prison, Matthew found God, completed more than 30 bible studies, became a law clerk, taught GED classes, and mentored fellow inmates. On January 3, 2019, Matthew was the first prisoner released as a result of the First Step Act.
Donald Trump on Criminal Justive reform:
- They said that a Criminal Justive reform could not be done, but look, we have done it.
- We have signed the first state act into law. It gives all non-violent offenders to re-enter society and contribute and live their life in dignity as a law-abiding citizen.
- After we passed it, others (states) are following it.
Donald Trump slams 'ridiculous partisan investigations' in State of Union: news agency Agence France-Presse.
Here are the highlights of Donald Trump's address:
- More people are working now than at any time in the history of our country-157 million people at work.
- We have eliminated taxes on small businesses and small farms.
- Thanks to our historic tax reduction, companies are coming back to the US more than ever in its history.
- For the first time in 65 years the US has become a net exporter of energy.
- For the first time in history, America has become the largest producer of oil in the world.
- America also has the world's most powerful military and armed forces.
- Members, the State of our Union is strong.
- US is progressing at a fast pace. The only things that can stop the progress is foolish wars and partisan investigations.
- For peace and legislation to flourish, there can be no war and investigation.
- We must be united at home to beat our advisories overseas.
Donald Trump calls for 'cooperation, compromise' in State of the Union speech: news agency Agence France-Presse.
US' First lady Melania said she was honored to welcome the inspiring guests at the State of the Union address. She tweeted:
State of the Union address:
- President Donald Trump is expected to call for more bipartisan cooperation in his State of the Union address.
- It has been 35 days ever since the partial government shutdown took place.
- The nationally televised address in the House chamber - will offer Trump a chance to showcase his immigration proposals.
- But aides say he will also highlight areas where he hopes to forge consensus, including around infrastructure projects and cutting the cost of prescription drugs.
State of the Union Address
US President Donald Trump is on his way to the US Capitol.