Congress chief Rahul Gandhi spoke to NDTV's Ravish Kumar this afternoon and said Prime Minister Narendra Modi has "personal hatred" against him. On a question if he is ready to become the prime minister of the country, he said: "I will do whatever people across the country want."
He also said Congress has held numerous press conferences on Rafale issue to "highlight the corruption". He challenged PM Modi for a debate on issues such as corruption, notes ban, Goods and Services Tax and farmer crisis. The Congress chief also said Sam Pitroda's comment on "1984 tragedy was wrong" and those who "committed the violence should be punished".
Here are the highlights of Rahul Gandhi's interview to NDTV:
- "Wherever I travel, people are scared everywhere. They say a force is trying to control the country," Congress chief Rahul Gandhi told NDTV.
- "1984 is a tragedy. Whoever committed violence should be punished. There's no debate on 1984. What Sam Pitroda said was wrong," Rahul Gandhi said today after a controversy broke out over party's overseas chief Sam Pitroda's "hua to hua" remark.
- On Mayawati, he said: "Mayawati is a national icon. She is with the BSP, but she has sent a message to the country. I respect her, I love her."
- The Congress chief also took a jab at PM Modi on "his contribution". "He has shown how not to run the nation. If you will run the country without listening to anybody, you won't be a good leader. There's no match to PM Modi's communication skills," Rahul Gandhi said.
- On a question whether his sister Priyanka Gandhi will go to parliament, he said: "I have to still think about it."
- "I learn from everybody," Mr Gandhi said. "I learn from prime minister, I learn from RSS. I learn from you," he added.
- "We will give 22 lakh jobs in the first year once we come to power. We will try our best that we do this without any scam," Mr Gandhi told NDTV.
- "If Congress comes to power, we will order a probe in the Rafale deal," he said.
- On PM Modi's "Namdar" jibe, Rahul Gandhi said: "The truth will be out on May 23. It will be clear who has performed better and who is trusted more."
- Rahul Gandhi said the media is covering the Congress "unfairly". "Media is not covering us fairly in the last five years. Press did not cover much on the Rafale issue despite serious charges being leveled against the ruling government. Even former French President reacted to it," he said.
- "We will protect every citizen in this country. Gandhi ji said even the last man in the line should be helped. Even if an RSS member is attacked, we will protect him," he said.
- "PM Modi ignored the intelligence of the RBI and announced notes ban," he said attacking the prime minister.
- On whether he is ready to become the prime minister, Rahul Gandhi said: "I will do whatever the people want".
- "PM Modi has personal hatred against me," Congress chief said. "Whenever I meet him, I offer respect. But he doesn't respond," he added.
- "Congress cannot exist without its party workers. Congress is the voice of the common man and its party workers," he said.
- "Narendra Modi's time is over... he can no longer make personal attacks," he told NDTV's Ravish Kumar. He also said, "I want to become the voice of people."
- "We are against the ideology which is spreading hatred in the country... This is the ideology of hatred, and we are fighting against it," he said.
- "I have an MPhil," Rahul Gandhi said on controversy about his educational qualifications.
- Rahul Gandhi said he has no problem in "giving TV interviews". "I have no problem in giving TV interviews. The worst thing that can happen is I will make mistakes but it's human to make mistakes," he said.