The Indian Railways has certain luggage carrying rules under which each passenger is allowed a free allowance up to which he/she can carry luggage in the compartment. The free allowance varies for different classes of travel, noted Indian Railways on its portal- indianrail.gov.in. However, passengers can book and carry excess luggage beyond the free allowance limits in the compartment up to a maximum limit according to their class of travel. Such extra luggage, however, is chargeable at 1.5 times of the applicable luggage rate, added Indian Railways.
Key luggage rules of Indian Railways:
1. The following is the maximum limit, free allowance, and marginal allowance luggage rules that are admissible for carriage of luggage in the compartment, according to indianrail.gov.in:
|Class||Free Allowance||Marginal Allowance||Maximum quantity permitted ( including free allowance)|
|AC First Class||70 Kgs||15 Kgs||150 Kgs|
|AC 2-Tier sleeper/First class||50 Kgs||10 Kgs||100 Kgs|
|AC 3-tier sleeper/AC chair car||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||40 Kgs|
|Sleeper class||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||80 Kgs|
|Second class||35 Kgs||10 Kgs||70 Kgs|
2. Trunks, suitcase and boxes having outside measurement of 100 cms x 60 cms x 25 cms (length x breadth x height) will be allowed to be carried in the passenger compartments as personal luggage. If the trunks, suitcases and boxes, which in outside measurement exceed any one of the dimension, such articles are required to be booked and carried in the brake van and not in the passengers' compartment.
3. However, maximum size of the trunks/suitcase that can be carried in the AC-3 tier and AC chair car compartment is 55 cms x 45 cms x 22.5 cms.
4. Children aged five and below 12 years are allowed half of the free allowance subject to the maximum of 50 Kgs.
5. The luggage of larger dimension is to be carried only via a brake van. The minimum charge for luggage is Rs 30. There is no restriction on carriage of luggage in brake van of passenger trains as far as quantity and type (personal or merchandise) of luggage is concerned.
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.