H-4 visa is issued to the spouse of H-1B visa holders
US Deputy Chief of Mission said that there have been no big changes in the H-1B visa programme and importantly, nothing new on the H-4 visa policy amid the Donald Trump administration's plan to overhaul the immigration system. US Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM) MaryKay L Carlson said granting employment visa and work permits is the sovereign decision of a country. A deputy chief of mission is the number-two diplomat assigned to an embassy
Ten Things To Know On The US Diplomat's Latest Statement On H-1B, H-4 Visas
- "There have been no big changes in the H-1B programme and nothing new on H-4," MaryKay L Carlson, US Deputy Chief of Mission, said.
- Employment visa and work permits for Indians is the sovereign decision of the US, MaryKay L Carlson said.
- The Trump administration's move to end the Obama-era rule could have an impact on more than 70,000 H-4 visas holders, who have work permits.
- H-4 is issued to the spouse of H-1B visa holders, a significantly large number of whom are high-skilled professionals from India.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had last month said the government would make all efforts to persuade the Trump administration against such a move.
- In her annual press conference on May 28, the minister had said it was true that President Donald Trump was reviewing the H-4 visa programme and there were reports of its possible revocation.
- In 2017, more than 1,86,000 Indian students were enrolled in US institutions for higher education, more than double the number from a decade ago and a 12 per cent increase from the year before.
- India is the second leading place of origin for students coming to the US, with Indians comprising over 17 per cent of the total international students in the United States, according to the US.
- There were reports that said the Trump administration was planning to end allowing spouses of H-1B visa holders to work legally in the United States
- A 2015 rule issued by the Obama administration allows work permits for spouses who otherwise could not be employed while H-1B visa holders seek permanent resident status -- a process that can take a decade or longer. (With PTI inputs)
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.