Indian Railways levies different cancellation charges on its classes of tickets such as executive class or AC first class, AC two-tier, AC three-tier, among others. The Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) - the e-ticketing arm of the national transporter, has specified rules on the cancellation of confirmed train tickets on its official IRCTC next-generation e-ticketing website. IRCTC levies flat cancellation charges on confirmed tickets before the chart preparation of the train and after the reservation chart is prepared.
IRCTC Cancellation charges of e-Tickets before the chart preparation of trains:
According to IRCTC, the amount deducted is based on the time of cancellation and the status of the train ticket at the time of cancellation.
1. If a confirmed ticket is cancelled online more than 48 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train, the minimum per passenger flat cancellation charges for the class of tickets are as follows:
- Rs 240 will be deducted for AC first class or executive class
- Rs 200 will be deducted for AC two-tier or first class
- Rs 180 will be deducted for AC three tier or AC chair car or AC 3 economy class
- Rs 120 will be decuted for sleeper class
- Rs 60 will be decided for second class
2. If a confirmed train ticket is cancelled within a period of 48 hrs and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, then the cancellation charges will be 25 per cent of the fare subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned above, plus GST applicable for all the AC classes.
3. If a confirmed train ticket is cancelled online within a period of 12 hours and up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train, then the cancellation charges will be 50 percent of the fare subject to the minimum cancellation rate, along with GST applicable for all the AC classes.
4. IRCTC added that no refund of fare will be admissible on the train tickets having a confirmed reservation staus, if the ticket is not cancelled online or the TDR is not filed online up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
How to cancel IRCTC e-ticket online:
- Visit the IRCTC e-ticketing website. Log in with your correct username and password on the login screen.
- Go to 'My Transactions' and Click 'Booked Ticket History' link under the My Account menu.
- the booked tickets will be displayed. Select the ticket to be cancelled and click on 'Cancel Ticket”.
- Initiate the cancellation by selecting those passengers whose tickets are to be cancelled
- Select the check box before the passenger's name and click on the ‘Cancel Ticket' button
- A confirmation pop-up will be displayed. Select the ‘OK' button to confirm the cancellation.
- Upon successful cancellation, the cancellation amount to be deducted and the refund amount will be displayed on the screen.
- A confirmation message for the cancellation will be sent on mobile number (provided at the time of booking). A confirmation mail for cancellation will be sent on the email ID - registered with IRCTC.
- In case of partial cancellation, the passenger should get a fresh printout of the electronic reservation slip (ERS) for those passengers who are continuing their journey.