Indian Railways unreserved ticketing system (UTS) is now available in the Hindi language for the convenience of passengers. To support the 3C's - cashless transactions (digital payments), contact less ticketing (physically visiting the point of sale is not required, and customer convenience, the Railway Ministry announced that the UTS on mobile app has been made available in Hindi, apart from English. The initiative is likely to ease the booking of unreserved tickets for passengers as they can opt any one language of their choice.
By using the UTS on mobile app, passengers can choose between paperless or paper ticket mode and can book any type of train tickets:
- Journey ticket booking
- Season ticket booking/renewal
- Platform ticket booking
The UTS mobile application is developed in-house by Indian Railways' subsidiary - Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) and is available across platforms, including apple iOS android and can be downloaded free of cost from the respective online stores. The total number of registered users of the UTS mobile application are 1.47 crore, according to the Railway Ministry.
The benefits of the UTS on Mobile app are as follows:
- No need to wait in queues for tickets, which assumes significance amid social distancing norms during the pandemic.
- The UTS app is paperless and environmental friendly.
- Once a ticket is booked, it can be shown to the TTE even in the offline mode without any internet connection.
- UTS provides booking on the run as passengers who make last-minute travel plans can simply reach the station, scan the QR code displayed at various points of the station, and book the ticket. Currently, this facility is available at 1,600 railway stations on the national transporter's network.
- UTS is a fully cashless facility as passengers can use digital payment options such as rail-wallet, debit card, credit card, UPI, net banking, and e-wallet
- Passengers who use Rail-Wallet facility are given a five per cent bonus on recharge. If a passenger recharges his Wallet for Rs 1,000, he/she gets the recharge value of Rs 1,050, according to railway authorities.