Reliance Jio is set to launch JioPhone 2, a new model of Reliance Jio's 4G-enabled feature phone JioPhone, on August 15. A day marked with Independence Day 2018, August 15 will bring some changes for Reliance Jio customers. From addition of new mobile apps in the existing JioPhone device to opening of online registrations for JioGigaFiber, a fiber-based broadband service announced by the telecom company in July this year, Reliance Jio will give its existing as well as potential subscribers some new options to access its services.
Here's what Reliance Jio plans to offer from August 15 (Independence Day) this year:
1. The second model of the JioPhone device, called JioPhone 2, will be available to the consumer at an introductory price of Rs 2,999. Billionaire Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Jio's parent company Reliance Industries, had in July announced August 15 as the date of rollout for JioPhone 2.
2. Both the JioPhone devices - the existing JioPhone device as well as the upcoming JioPhone 2 device - will have access to mobile apps YouTube, Facebook and WhatsApp. The existing JioPhone already comes with the Facebook app. The other two apps will be made available to the existing JioPhone users in addition to the Facebook app from August 15, according to Reliance Jio.
3. Also, the company will start accepting interests for JioGigaFiber through its mobile app MyJio and website Jio.com, according to its July announcement.
4. "This 15th of August, Jio welcomes you to celebrate the day of India's Freedom by signing in for every Indian's Digital Freedom," Mr Ambani had said, in his address to Reliance Industries investors at the group's 41st annual general meeting (AGM).
5. Reliance Jio has said the broadband service will be spread in 1,100 cities across the country.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.