At the beginning of the new year, many professionals would be contemplating about a job change. Or even a new career. But what skills are employers looking for?
Professional networking website LinkedIn collated the hottest skills that helped people land better jobs in 2015. Sohan Murthy, data analytics and strategy researcher at LinkedIn, in a blog post said, "We noticed that companies were still recruiting and hiring for these skills well into the final months of 2015, so we expect these skills will remain in-demand in the early part of 2016."
"This means if you have one or more of these skills, you're likely to continue getting interest from recruiters in the new year."
LinkedIn came out with a list of 'Hottest Skills of 2015' based on hiring and recruiting activity seen on the networking website in the past year (January 1 to December 1, 2015). As expected, IT skills dominated the list.
In 2015, new skill areas - corporate law and governance, military and defence and automotive services, parts and design - featured in the LinkedIn list. They were not listed in 2014. Electronic and electrical engineering jumped 14 places in the 2015 list as compared to 2014 while user interface design rose by 7 spots. Among notable drops, social media marketing slipped 11 spots in 2015 list as compared to that of 2014.
The hottest skills of 2015 (India), according to LinkedIn:
1. Cloud and distributed computing
2. Statistical analysis and data mining
3. Storage systems and management
4. User interface design
5. Algorithm design
6. PR and communications
7. Network and information security
8. Web architecture and development frameworks
11. Electronic and electrical engineering
12. Public policy and international relations
13. Data presentation
14. Corporate law and governance
15. Mobile development
16. Mac, Linux and Unix systems
17. Social media marketing
19. Game development
20. Shell scripting languages
21. Data engineering and data warehousing
22. Automotive services, parts and design
23. Middleware and integration software
24. Digital and online marketing
25. Military and defence