When the train stopped at Kanpur railway station, Hafiz, one of the passengers said, "There was a short circuit and we saw smoke coming out from one of the lights. Passengers were in panic and that led to a huge commotion in B1 and B2 coaches. We had to pull the chain."
He further said that police came and said there was some smell, which could be due to fire. The AC attendant, however, is not agreeing to it.
AC coach attendant Durgesh Kumar, denying the charges said, "No, there was no smoke. The main battery fused and there was a noise because of that. Lights went out but LED bulb got lit. Passengers mistook it for a spark and short circuit."
Aalam Mohammad, another passenger pointed out AC failure as one of the main pain points. He said, "There was unbearable heat in the train as ACs were not functioning from Jhansi to Kanpur."
"We complained many times about AC failure but they were ignored. People saw smoke and fire rumours and that led to a ruckus in the train," another passenger said.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.