BJP president Amit Shah filed his nomination papers from Gandhinagar for the Lok Sabha elections 2019. Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray were among the top BJP leaders who accompanied him.
Top leaders, including union ministers and many NDA allies, had shared stage with Mr Shah at a public meeting in Gandhinagar this morning and then held a road show through the city.
Mr Shah, who was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat, has been nominated by the BJP for the Gandhinagar Lok Sabha seat. Mr Shah is replacing BJP veteran L K Advani, who had been winning uninterrupted from Gandhinagar since 1998, from the prestigious constituency.
Last date for filing nominations is April 4. Polling for all the 26 seats of Gujarat will take place on April 23.
- Today is a big day... I stand here today before filing my nomination from Gandhinagar.
- I started here in 1982 as a booth-level worker...
- From distributing pamphlets, putting up posters, doing booth-level work, today I am fortunate that my party - the BJP - has made me the national president of the world's largest party. It has been a great journey for me...
- If you take out BJP from my life, you will be left with zero/nothing (shunya).
- I am blessed that I am getting to contest from the very seat from which veteran leaders like Atal Bihari Vajpayee and LK Advani stood. This is an honour for me.
- I have come here to congratulate Amit Shah on this significant move. He is going to contest from the seat where our veteran leader LK Advani used to contest. This is a big move, and I am sure Amit Shah will live up to the expectations of this constituency.
- Both NDA and BJP had achieved a full majority in the 2014 polls. We still took everyone along. Our allies being present here is a sign that come-what-may, we stand together.
- India has taken a big leap in the world stage, all thanks to our prime minister Narendra Modi
- And people like Rahul Gandhi say 'Prime Minister Chor Hai'?
- I appeal you all to come together and convey a message to Rahul Gandhi that "Pradhan Mantri chor nahi hai, pradhan mantra pure hai"
- If Indira Gandhi can get credit for dividing Pakistan, why shouldn't PM Narendra Modi get credit for Balakot strike, asks Rajnath Singh.
Ahmedabad: Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Nitin Gadkari, Piyush Goyal, Ram Vilas Pasawn, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, Shiromani Akali Dal leader Parkash Singh Badal & others at 'Vijay Sankalp Sabha', ahead of Amit Shah's filing of nomination from Gandhinagar LS constituency. pic.twitter.com/9MyZFMprwE- ANI (@ANI) March 30, 2019
- Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray said that people must be surprised to see me at Amit Shah's rally.
- Uddhav Thackeray said that there was no opposition which could give enough competition to the BJP in the Lok Sabha elections.