- Mr Rao, 72, was one of the senior-most leaders of the TDP
- Mr Rao became Speaker in 2014 after the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh
- A six-time MLA, he won from Narsaraopet 5 times and Sattenapalli in 2014
Former Andhra Pradesh assembly Speaker Kodela Siva Prasad Rao committed suicide at his home in Hyderabad, the police said on Monday. Mr Rao, 72, was one of the senior-most leaders of the opposition Telugu Desam Party in the state.
He was taken to Basavatarakam Hospital - which he had set up with actor-politician Balakrishna - where doctors confirmed his death.
Mr Rao became Speaker in 2014 after the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh to create Telangana. The six-time MLA - he won from Narsaraopet five times and Sattenapalli in 2014 - has also served as the home minister and the panchayat raj minister.
Mr Rao joined the TDP in 1983. He is survived by two sons and a daughter.
Mr Rao, who was born in a farmer's family, went on to become a doctor after graduating from Guntur Medical College.
BJP chief spokesperson, K Krishna Saagar Rao, in a statement said, "Shocked to know that former minister, former AP speaker Shri Kodela Siva Prasad has committed suicide. I extend heartfelt condolences on the unfortunate demise of this senior politician. May his soul rest in peace."
(If you need support or know someone who does, please reach out to your nearest mental health specialist.)
- AASRA: 91-22-27546669 (24 hours)
- Sneha Foundation: 91-44-24640050 (24 hours)
- Vandrevala Foundation for Mental Health: 1860-2662-345 and 1800-2333-330 (24 hours)
- iCall: 022-25521111 (Available from Monday to Saturday: 8:00am to 10:00pm)
- Connecting NGO: 18002094353 (Available from 12 pm - 8 pm)
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.