Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday alleged that the Congress was placing vote bank politics above national interest while it was in power at the Centre. He also claimed that the the opposition party and its allies were rattled by the trends that have emerged from the first two phases of the Lok Sabha polls. "... The trends of the first two phases of elections have left them rattled. They no more have the temerity to demand proofs of the valiant cross-border operations conducted by our armed forces," the prime minister said.
Earlier in the day, PM Modi addressed a public meeting in West Bengal, where he asked the voters to put brakes on "Speed-breaker Didi" Mamata Banerjee's rule and end the "politics of threat, loot and corruption". Addressing a rally in West Bengal's south Dinajpur district, PM Modi said: "Don't you want this politics of threat, loot and corruption to end? Then come out from every household in every village, town, nook and corner and give the Trinamool a befitting reply for unleashing a rule of terror. Rise up Bengal give your response on May 23". The pubic meeting at Narayanpur ground has been organised in support of BJP candidate Sukanta Majumdar, a reputed botanist of Gour Banga University who is taking on sitting Trinamool Congress MP and noted theatre activist Arpita Ghosh. The BJP is dreaming big in Balurghat, once a stronghold of the Left. The BJP is hoping to wean a substantial part of the Left vote bank which has seen a lot of erosion across the state, as also get a large chunk of the substantial tribal vote in the constituency.
This was PM Modi's fifth visit to the state this year, and the seventh public meeting in Bengal in around two and a half months, according to news agency IANS. After Bengal, PM Modi will visit Bihar to address three rallies in 1200 Araria, Etah and Aonla.
Here are the updates on PM Modi's Rallies:
- Those who feel discomfort chanting ''Bharat Mata Ki Jai'' and side with those saying ''Bharat Tere Tukde Honge'' can do nothing for the progress of India.
- The country has witnessed two types of politics of ''vote bhakti'' and of ''desh bhakti''. The former was on display after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, when the then government did not go after Pakistan for abetting terror, and chose to derail the investigations in many terror cases by coming up with the theory of Hindu terror.
- The latter was demonstrated by us when the Uri terror attack was replied with surgical strikes and Pulwama was followed by air strikes.
- Don't you want this politics of threat, loot and corruption to end? Then come out from every household in every village, town, nook and corner and give the Trinamool a befitting reply for unleashing a rule of terror. Rise up Bengal give your response on May 23.
- Bullying of Trinamool will not prevent its massive defeat, Bengal is with the BJP.
- TMC, Left front and Congress indulge in politics of discrimination. On the other hand, our government believe in Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas.
- The schemes of our governments are benefitting the poor and marginalised from all communities
- It is shameful that people from neighbouring country are campaigning for the TMC, which was done to appease the minority community
- Everyone is saying that there will be a big change in West Bengal.
- The people of West Bengal have decided to teach a lesson to "speed breaker" didi (Mamata Banerjee)
- She has used goons to target the people, she has looted the people of money, of development
- ''Speedbreaker didi'' has lost her sleep after the first two phases of Lok Sabha polls in West Bengal
- In Purulia, a BJP worker was murdered. I want to assure each West Bengal BJP worker and people of the state that justice will be done. Strict action will be taken against those people who are responsible.