- Demi Lovato was found unconscious in her Hollywood Hills home on Tuesday
- She went through an apparent case of drug overdose
- Going through a drug overdose episode can be quite tormenting
Pop singer and songwriter Demi Lovato was rushed to a hospital in Los Angeles due to an apparent case of drug overdose on Tuesday. The 25-year old singer was found unconscious in her Hollywood Hills home on Tuesday. This was initially seen as a case of 'heroin overdose'. However, this was later denied by a source close to Lovato. The singer was out on Monday night to celebrate a friend's birthday; she even shared pictures on Instagram with other people. Lovato is going through treatment at present. She was found unconscious by parademics. Demi was then given an emergency treatment for such overdoses, Narcan. Her representative revealed that she is "awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers and support". The singer has been fighting substance abuse for years now. After being released from a treatment centre, she lived in a sober, drug free home. The singer had been away from cocaine, oxycontin and alcohol for six years. She recently released a song named Sober revealing that she had fallen off the wagon.
Drug overdose refers to a condition wherein a person takes too much of an illicit drug to reach the euphoria they crave for. Consuming too much of a drug, medical or illicit, without detoxing from it can have serious dangerous side effects. This can either be accidental or intentional.
When a person takes too much of a depressant drug like heroin, he is or she is likely to show the following symptoms:
1. Unconsciousness, one which is not easy to wake up from
2. Blue lips and fingertips
3. Shallow or no breathing at all
5. Zero response to stimulus
7. Gurgling sounds
Going through a drug overdose episode can be quite tormenting for a person, both physically and mentally.
To help someone detoxify from a drug overdose episode, here's what we suggest.
1. Complete abstinence from the drug
To begin with, you need to abstain from the drug completely. You must not allow yourself to touch the drug again no matter how much you crave for it.
2. Stick to a healthy diet
Essential vitamins, nutrients should be included in your diet. Fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, fish, chicken and herbal teas should be consumed.
Also read: 9 Foods You Should Eat Daily Without Fail
3. Drink lots of water
Drugs and alcohol dehydrate your body. They pull water from your brain which results in a hangover. So while going through a detox, drink lots of water and fruit juices to keep your body hydrated.
It might be difficult for you to get to an exercise regime in the first place. But it is not all that difficult. Stick to a workout regime, no matter how short it is. This will get your body to start producing dopamine. Eventually, the symptoms of withdrawal will reduce.
Be it a medical detox for drug overdose or a natural one, therapy can be a part of both. Therapy can help you get to the root cause of starting drugs in the first place and that's how you can get to the appropriate treatment for the same.
Post her drug overdose incident, Demi Lovato shared a post on Instagram thanking her family and friends for their support. She wrote, "I have always been transparent about my journey with addiction. What I've learned is that this illness is not something that disappeared or fades with time. It is something I must continue to overcome and have not done yet."
Demi Lovato also wrote about her fondest hopes to be on the other side some day. She wrote, ""I look forward to the day where I can say I came out on the other side."
According to Psychologist Dr. Prerna Kohli, "To be clear, a drug is any substance other than food, that when inhaled, injected, smoked, consumed, absorbed via a patch on the skin or dissolved under the tongue causes a physiological change in the body. Certain medicines may be legal when prescribed and consumed under the supervision of a qualified doctor, but when these same medicines are consumed without a prescription it is unacceptable and illegal."
Dr. Prerna Kohli adds "that in teenagers, parents, need to watch out for the following 7 signs for drug use:
- a change in peer group & decline in academic performance
- carelessness with grooming
- missing classes or skipping school
- loss of interest in favorite activities
- trouble in school or with the police
- changes in eating or sleeping habits
- deteriorating relationships with family members and friends
Dr. Prerna Kohli continues to add, that it is most important for a recovering drug addict to ensure that he or she doesn't relapse and start abusing drugs again.. Her top tips are:
1. Avoid peers who continue to do drugs or are encouraging you to consume drugs.
2. Avoid bars, pubs, and other places where you went to consume drugs
3. Stay in touch with your de-addiction center and visit them again when you feel you are feeling weak
4. Start counseling sessions with an experienced Psychologist/ counselor who is available to you when you face a moment of weakness
5. Share your problem with loved ones and true friends, who can provide you with moral and psychological support when required.
(Dr Prerna Kohli is a clinical Psychologist)
We hope for a speedy recovery for Demi Lovato!
With inputs from IANS
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.